Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No food tastes better than your own

Tonight we had fresh potatoes and sausage. The sausage is grass fed and not raises by ourselves but the taters came out of our ground, along with onions, garlic, peppers, and basil. My wife is Irish so she doesn't understand that you can cook potatoes from the raw state in a frying pan. Because the sausage is grass fed you need a half cup of olive oil to do the potatoes and onions.
    Farming is hard work but you can eat all you want and not get fat. If someone asked me what is the best thing you can do to lose weight I would say raising your own food. There is not a pill that can compare.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: No food taste better than your own

Amen, brother!

We own a 20 lifestyle block, raise our own beef, chicken and veggie garden. Actually i quite often refer to the land as a 20 acre life sentence. There sure is always something to do.

Last weekend we butchered 7 Cornish hens, gonna try one of those Sunday.

G.

I dont raise livestock, but do have a great garden every year, and Potatoes are a staple. Well, I do raise livestock I suppose, if you consider Deer, Wild turkey, rabbits and quail livestock. Irish Wife huh, Like you more already Ace. Tell her Sliante' from Cumberland. G

We are reaping the bounty of our veggie gardens, fruit trees and berry bushes along with our honey.

I could never be a "real" farmer as all our animals, except for the insects, get named and become family members
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Tonight we had fresh potatoes and sausage. The sausage is grass fed and not raises by ourselves but the taters came out of our ground, along with onions, garlic, peppers, and basil. My wife is Irish so she doesn't understand that you can cook potatoes from the raw state in a frying pan. Because the sausage is grass fed you need a half cup of olive oil to do the potatoes and onions.

Farming is hard work but you can eat all you want and not get fat. If someone asked me what is the best thing you can do to lose weight I would say raising your own food. There is not a pill that can compare.
    Love this thread Brian! We hunt, gather, grow, can, raise chickens, bees...all on an acre and a half. Nothing better than home grown. luxury food at a minimal cost.
    Every morning I walk to the coop, pick the chickens a bunch of garden kale, and tell them, "Heres your vitamin".
    My boys are grown. Strong and healthy in mind and body and still stopping in for some canned goods, eggs, honey and fresh kale. All that preachin' about what your eatin' has paid off.
    When I was a younger woman, I had dreams of moving to the deep woods of Alaska to live off the land. Well, that never happened.. so one day, I thought, I can create something similar, working with what I have... and.... well, its amazing what a person can do with what they have!
    Not to mention the bartering power of fresh eggs and raw honey.

Funny how those who grew up and live in a suburban environment romanticize all their lives being farmers. While those who grew up on farms, enduring 16 to 18 hour work days. No sick days, no vacations. Patching clothing out of necessity rather than a fashion statement, can't wait to leave the farm.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a kid say, " I can't wait till I turn 18 I getting off this farm, and never connin back!" I would be able to retire.

Glad you love it Brian. Would you mind if I called you next time my barn cleaner quits?

I got married 30-some years ago because of my wife's cookin'. She raised her own herbs. I'd been raised on spice and herbs from a jar and had no idea they could be so good.

Then she took up gardening and it was obvious this marriage was gonna go the distance.

Now she's a Master Gardener and I'd fight any man that tries to steal her.

We both swear up and down that food tastes better up at the cabin. Particularly if dinner includes venison taken on our back 25 acres, roasted over a fire made from our own oaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Funny how those who grew up and live in a suburban environment romanticize all their lives being farmers. While those who grew up on farms, enduring 16 to 18 hour work days. No sick days, no vacations. Patching clothing out of necessity rather than a fashion statement, can't wait to leave the farm.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a kid say, " I can't wait till I turn 18 I getting off this farm, and never connin back!" I would be able to retire.

Glad you love it Brian. Would you mind if I called you next time my barn cleaner quits?
    Tenbears - I can honestly say that I was one of those kids. However, if the teaching was correct in the beginning and the preaching was solid, the kids that thought they knew better will come back to the same life again. I grew up on a small farm here in WV and ran off as soon as I could to do other things. Slowly as time passed it became very apparent to me that I wanted to go back home. Then my wife and I had our first child. That was an eye opener! It didn't take long to figure out that we would go back home soon, and did. Today I wouldn't trade this lifestyle for anything. Farm kid to farm adult, it never goes too far from the heart. Now my kids get to enjoy the same things i did growing up.

And as for the FOOD ! always better if a little honest hard work and sweat goes into getting it to the table. Fresh is ALWAYS better..
    Thomas Bartram - 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Love it? Are you kidding? I hate it. I did when I was pulling weeds in my parents garden way back when. The garden is my wife's idea, the bees were my wife's idea. We don't enjoy the work we enjoy working together and reaping the benefits of our work. I could never be a farmer working so hard for someone else's benefit. There are way easier ways to make a living.
    Brian Cardinal

Fresh is good.
    Last night i had to laugh, i was sitting in the lounge relaxing and my wife came in from the chicken coop with some fresh eggs. She had put those eggs into a egg carton that had an advertisement about how good fresh egg are and a picture.
    She laughed and showed me the picture. she said do those eggs look like fresh eggs to you. well of course not.

The eggs in the picture had flat yokes, unlike the fresh ones that sit up.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by garusher View Post

The eggs in the picture had flat yokes, unlike the fresh ones that sit up.

G.
    No doubt pale yellow too.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    We are reaping the bounty of our veggie gardens, fruit trees and berry bushes along with our honey.

I could never be a "real" farmer as all our animals, except for the insects, get named and become family members
    My 10 year old daughter named most of our farm animals. The steer I bought last year is named TBones. She named his replacement Ribeye. One of our pigs she named bacon. The other she named sausage. The other two I am picking up tonight will for sure have names before the end of the weekend. I wondering if next year's steer is going to be called Prime Ribs.

we finish off a few hogs every year. doesn't take up much room and they are market size in about 3 months. We sell one at fair with the 4H and one to a friend or two so we about break even on the 2 we keep. We name then but everyone knows why they are here and it has never became a issue.

Tonight's menu was zucchini and summer squash grilled with salt, pepper, and garlic and a slathering of olive oil. Corn on the cob, hand picked string beans and bacon. We cooked some more baby potatoes but too much to eat so they are going to be in a salad tomorrow. Mmmm, Mmm, eating is my best hobby. I mastered it when I was a kid.
    Brian Cardinal

I did Jalapeno poppers [cream cheese, bacon], fresh sweet corn and butter, and sun ripened tomatoes. Tonight this was great tonight. but may be painful tomorrow. but yum.

Gary

Oh yeah, I can't take the after burn of peppers.
    Brian Cardinal

When we make jalapeno poppers everything from the bacon to the cream cheese to the peppers is made by us

We only have a couple of acres but besides the bees, we have 18 chickens and a small garden. We tap the few maples on our property and it's always a bounty when we sit down at the table. Fresh eggs in the morning. Our own syrup. We grow potato's, eggplant, cukes (love the pickles), tomato's, squash, garlic, asparagus, beets and we have a small herb table. We also have apples and peaches and I'm wrapping up reconditioning a press so that we can make cider in the fall. It's all hard work (along with the dogs and feral cats) but it's all worth it.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

No garden for us this year. If you don't have irrigation water here you're out of luck unless you want to spend a few hundred dollars a month on city water. The half acre I'm usually able to garden is off limits until the lawyers sort things out...
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...