Was picking up some frames thursday evening and was informed of a call about bees on the side of a house. Made a call and the homeowner said thy had been there a week. Went to see for myself what was happening and the homeowners son said they had been there 3 weeks and were in the washroom ceiling. He had also attempted to fill the soffit/ facia entry are with foam. Came back friday morning and pried the facia and soffit away and found they were just between two roof studs and had not made it down into the wall...but they had 11rows of comb all approx a foot and a half to 2 feet in length. Most of the bees moved inside. I went inside blocked the entrance into the main house and left the outside entry door open and cut into the ceiling carefully. As I pulled the old tongue and groove away i exposed about 15-20,000 bees clustered on the rear most part of the comb. I sprayed them with sugar water and gentle raked them into the hive body (closed up with a screened bottom board) and put the lid on and moved them outside. I went back in and smoked the remaining bees so they moved outside and removed the inner comb and blocked the inside of the old hive area off with black plastic. Then I moved outisde and sprayed down the swarmed bees on the outside comb and brush them i to the box and removed the remaining comb which was primarily brood and banded it into frames and put them in the hive body with the bees. Noticed as i removed one piece several works clustered and fanned and found the queen buried so quickly banded it and put it in the hive body. With only stragglers left, i put the hove body on the roof above the old entry and left till dark. When i returned all but maybe 70-100 bees were in the box! Closed the box and brought them home. Most of the bees outside were clustered on the screened bottome and i really figured the 26 mile ride home would blow them off but saturday morning they were clusters on the truck bed when I sat the hive on the stand and opened it (with a leafy branch over the entry) they are back to business this morning it seems.
Re: First cut-out
Second cut-out complete! I made a beevac out of a 5 gal bucket vac and two buckets. It was about as fast as a cut-out can go aside from putting up scaffolding and taking it down after. Well worth the money and effort to add one of these to my tools.