Default custom cappings spinner

Anyone built their own custom cappings spinner that can chime in and give a bit of advice?

I've got an older Maxant 4-frame tangential extractor (series 1600, model 4), just ordered a new 1400P to increase the volume of extraction I can do.

I'm debating what to do with the 4-frame tangential. I'm thinking of building a cappings spinner.

Option A) Make some bags to fit in the current frame baskets using nylon filter material. Minimal expense, keeps the extractor intact. Filling the bags and loading into the baskets could be a PITA. Part of me says to try this, since it's a pretty cheap option that won't cost me much to try. (Just need to get someone to sew the bags for me, possibly reinforce the Maxant baskets with some stainless mesh so the bags don't blow out the sides)

Option B) Make a cappings spinner basket, solid stainless bottom, perforated stainless sides. Does one need a "blade" assembly like the Maxant cappings spinners have? Not really sure how effective they are at chopping up cappings, since the blades spin with the basket. I wouldn't plan on uncapping directly into the tank... although I guess I could...

Option C) Sell the extractor and consider it as a downpayment on a new cappings spinner.
    Beekeeping since 2009; currently running 20+ hives.

Default Re: custom cappings spinner

I posted a couple days ago about converting my old Dadant manual 4 frame tangential extractor to a spinner also, but didn't get much response. I was asking about converting it to power though, from manual. On my extractor, the big bar that goes across the basket would make it tough to get cappings in and out of, as you said, but I was thinking of just using the 5 gallon bucket strainer bags from the supply companies and filling them with cappings. You probably would have to only fill them partially though, so that they would fit through the small space on either side of the cross bar, maybe put two bags in at a time to balance everything out as best you can. On my old Dadant extractor, the basket inside the extractor is made of a heavy stainless with small holes in it, so the strainer bags would stay put. Your extractor evidently is made differently than mine and may pose more problems to converting it to a spinner. Hope you come up with an idea for it.

I have a new Maxant 3100 P and love it, I wanted to be able to spin out some crush and strain comb from bee removals so I found some plastic (food grade) boxes, these were actually fishing tackle boxes drilled holes in lid (so would not make huge mess while filling ) and put into the space the 3 deep frames would go.
    turned it on and it worked, to a degree the only problem I think is the face the boxes I found were not large enough, and kept slipping through frame holder to touch edge of tank, if you can find the right size box I think it would work and should be very cheap compared to cappings spinner,
    if you do try this please let me know what size boxes you get and place you get them from
    so far unable to find correct size
    Insect farming is soooo interesting :)

I would sell it and depending on your operation either get the maxant jr or the larger spinner, with the chain uncapper,,

If you had a sheer metal shop bend up some triangular cross section tubes to fit the spaces, you could drill holes in the outer side for the honey to drain through, then cut a piece of wood for the bottoms - secured with three screws. You could fill them, and they would drop right in and out. And you could remove the wax by removing the screws and pushing the wooden bottom all the way through. You wouldn't even need to modify the extractor.

You might even be able make it at home out of hardware cloth. Or some large plastic water pipe...

I might do that for mine now that i think of it.
    Last edited by David LaFerney; 07-18-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I have an older Diamondline spinner, the basket has a perforated bottom also. The blades are probably not mean for chopping but slinging the cappings to the side from the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey man View Post
    I have a new Maxant 3100 P and love it, I wanted to be able to spin out some crush and strain comb from bee removals so I found some plastic (food grade) boxes, these were actually fishing tackle boxes drilled holes in lid (so would not make huge mess while filling ) and put into the space the 3 deep frames would go.
    turned it on and it worked, to a degree the only problem I think is the face the boxes I found were not large enough, and kept slipping through frame holder to touch edge of tank, if you can find the right size box I think it would work and should be very cheap compared to cappings spinner,
    if you do try this please let me know what size boxes you get and place you get them from
    so far unable to find correct size
    Could you not get 3 properly sized boxes with holes made up at a plastics shop?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06