Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Paramount Farms buying out beekeepers?

At the end of the day Paramount will likely end up having greater respect for beekeepers no matter if the go all in or not.
    I think they are quite familiar with bees, beekeeping and beekeepers. I suspect many beekeepers would gladly go on salary and have a steady income, rather than having to follow the elusive honey flows. Presumably these companies have millions of acres in various states and the budget to maintain the colonies. I mean, if they pay $200 per colony already, it seems obvious they could hire a crew, pay expenses and still spend less. Otherwise, why would they attempt it?

[QUOTE=peterloringborst;1139200] I suspect many beekeepers would gladly go on salary and have a steady income, QUOTE]

Peter, I can't think of one good keeper that would do that, that has the management skills that they would require for that size of outfit.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

It looks like they just want to lock in a bee supply. They have so much more money at stake in their almond acreage, that even if they operate the bees at a loss, the pollination will be worth it.IF they can pull it off.The problem isn't the few weeks in Feb, its what to do with them the rest of the year.Thats what will be interesting to me.

Are they buying hives of bees or are they buying rights to locations too?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

They'd have to look out of state for that many bees, Cali is a desert come summer time, but then again he's got the money to grease some wheels as we all know too well with the water crap that goes on

They are looking for complete bee operations. With the conditions that the owner manages it for a certain number of years I hear. Now who would do that unless they are paying well above market value plus a large salary that would at least match the income they had been making already.

Can't really point to what they are, but there are benefits beyond income running your own business. I guess one is not being beholden to anyone unless you want to.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    It's easy to make video's & run around to the coffee shop meetings and talk about it, it's a hole different ball game doing it.
    Give them a few years, only farmers are foolish enough to play this nature game... they are farmers right?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beekman View Post
    Keith is right on. This will be a good thing for the industry
    Because it will illustrate that paying someone else to do what you can't is smart business?
    Mark Berninghausen

They are coming to Michigan 7/25 for commercial beekeepers meeting

Ian. Remember One earth farms? Well they didn't last long.
    A number of Saskatchewan and Alberta First Nations plan to lease out their farmland to a company that wants to form the largest group of corporate farms in the country.

"We're pretty excited to be part of it," said Clarence Bellegarde, chief of the Little Black Bear First Nation in southern Saskatchewan. "It's a big benefit to us."

The deal, announced Thursday morning in Saskatoon, could eventually see about 400,000 hectares of farmland across Western Canada leased by One Earth Farms Corp., which will manage the project for Toronto-based Sprott Resource Corp.

First Nations, bankers, agrologists and grain industry experts are involved in the venture, Bellegarde said

The land is owned by the First Nations, but in the past they have simply leased the land to nearby farmers and have not worked the soil themselves.

Little Black Bear will be adding about 8,900 hectares to the corporation's land.

The company plans to have about 20,000 hectares in production in its first year.

The deal also involves the Muskowekwan, Starblanket and Thunderchild First Nations in Saskatchewan, and several others in Alberta, Bellegarde said.

Thunderchild First Nation, which was the first to sign on, plans to commit 20,000 hectares for leasing.

Chief Dale Awasis sees not only immediate jobs but a chance for better stewardship of the lands.

"One Earth Farms has committed to farming our land in a manner which will help our lands to rejuvenate," Awasis said. "First Nations will have the confidence that these lands will be able to provide for future generations of our people, and, from the perspective of One Earth Farms, healthier lands provide better crops."

As part of the deal, aboriginal farmers will be hired and trained, and the bands will get shares in the new corporation, he said.

Sprott is investing $27.5 million in One Earth Farms "to establish operations, fund working capital and support its initial growth," Sprott said in a news release.

Another part of the deal will see Sprott donating $1 million for post-secondary scholarships to encourage aboriginal people to train in the agricultural industry, Bellegarde said.

Peter, I can't think of one good keeper that would do that, that has the management skills that they would require for that size of outfit.
    Interesting statement. I mean, because you can't think of one -- there aren't any? Or is it that they wouldn't be "good beekeepers" in your eyes if they did that?

I have worked for several commercial operations that employed over a dozen people at times. Most did not own bees, but were good beekeepers. Many of the very large operations have dozens of employees in many states. Why wouldn't one of these go to work for a corporation? Many bee operations are incorporated, anyway.

I think you are thinking a bit narrowly. I have a good friend who is one of the best beekeepers I ever knew, and he hired on as a consultant to an almond grower. He got paid to inspect other guys' bees for colony strength. They wanted a real beekeeper on their side if there were disputes over the quality of the hives.

Lots of former academics and retired government scientists take these big jobs too. Money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by peterloringborst View Post
    Interesting statement. I mean, because you can't think of one -- there aren't any? Or is it that they wouldn't be "good beekeepers" in your eyes if they did that?
    I can't see much of a upside to them doing so.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Anyone willing to sign a contract, as previously mentioned, and thereby potentially obligating themselves to any kind of enslavement with a party who can drop 10 million on a gaggle of lawyers without even looking whats still left in their wallet (just so they can outwit the beekeepers lawyer) has got to be a sucker for punishment.

Most of us aren't in this business for that reason and trying to exit the beekeeping lifestyle under those conditions would be a good reason to check oneself into an insane asylum prior to jumping overboard into any such shark infested tank.

The short list of people capable of successfully managing 10's of thousands of hives are already doing so and doing quite well at it. Not sure how many of them would consider taking orders from Paramount as being a career advancement.
    Academics? Retired government scientists? Good one Clyde.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Ian. Remember One earth farms? Well they didn't last long.
    they aint farmers either
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    The short list of people capable of successfully managing 10's of thousands of hives are already doing so and doing quite well at it. Not sure how many of them would consider taking orders from Paramount as being a career advancement.
    Academics? Retired government scientists? Good one Clyde.
    Very true!
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Not sure how many of them would consider taking orders from Paramount as being a career advancement.
    I would expect them to hire good people to manage the bees, pay them to do what they know how to do, give them the resources to do it right. Otherwise, why would they bother? They can already rent bees, there has to be an advantage to buying them or they wouldn't have considered it.

Back in the early 1900s, extension agents recommended to fruit growers that they buy bees for their orchards. Many did, but they found that the bees required too much care when they were already occupied with other things. So, the renting of bees became the norm. Almond growers have had to face rising prices for bees, and shortages of hives when they need them.

It is quite clear that California could support the one million colonies needed, under normal circumstances. The colonies have to be managed well during the fall and winter, to be ready in February. Coastal California has the ideal climate for this, but only when the winter rains are sufficient. The key to the whole system running smoothly is efficiency. It may be that cobbling bees together from all over is simply not the best way to go about it.

Bottom line, however, is this is the almond growers' problem. Not the nation's, not yours and mine. Frankly, I think they should be allowed to import bees from Australia, like they did for a couple of years. I am in the minority on this, of course.
    Last edited by peterloringborst; 07-18-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Me? A negative bias against big business? Sorry you've got the wrong guy. Paramount can do what they wish, doesn't bother me in the least. Of the list of things that concern me, it doesn't even crack the top 50. If there is one thing I have learned over my 40+ years of commercial bee hive management is that one of the biggest challenges that you will face is keeping a qualified work force. The best always want to own and manage their own and quit taking orders from someone else. If you send an inexperienced person out in a truck with a map and instructions be prepared to see some pretty unusual things the next time around. Cell phones have improved this a lot, but there is nothing quite like an experienced person actually being there.
    The numbers we are hearing that Paramount is proposing to own are going to take a lot of qualified management. I, for one, wouldn't consider changing my situation.
    Am I wrong in stating that Paramount would first be looking at candidates that have a track record of successful management of a large number of hives? If so, what is it that lures someone who is already operating a successful operation into signing on.......and having to attend board meetings at Paramount?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast