Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Paramount Farms buying out beekeepers?

you make it sound like nothing but doom and gloom.

This is an interesting topic.
    I don't see the doom and gloom though? Paramount Farms has 46,000 acres of almonds according to a past post, this is less than 10% of the almond acreage in California. Could they pollinate these acres with their own in house bees? I think it could happen with the right management and forage areas before and after almonds. It would just be another business inside a business.
    Will it control almond pollination in California? I don't think Paramount wants to pollinate the other 800,000 acres of almonds in California. Maybe I am wrong on this.

Good point Nick.
    Actually, if you divide the total almond acreage in 2013 (870,000) by Paramount's 46,000 it is a mere 5.2%.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

It's the American way. I find myself stuck somewhere between interested and indifferent. Let's face it, each year enough ordinary hives get weaseled in at extraordinary prices that Paramounts decision is entirely understandable. But of this I am confident.........strong hives will always bring top dollar regardless of what Paramount does. In all things beekeeping it's best to worry more about your own business than to fret about what others may be doing.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    In all things beekeeping it's best to worry more about your own business than to fret about what others may be doing.
    What........ Who thought of that.

Oh.... that's right, Jimmy did.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Here is a gem from the Australasian Beekeeper for September 15, page 45 by the editor: "The advent of the motor truck is responsible for the rapid growth of migratory beekeeping, which is here to stay. The more we consider it though, the more we are convinced that there are limits (according to the capacity of the individual) to the extent that migratory beekeeping can be carried on profitably. Up to that limit the man is master of his business, over that limit the worry and overhead expense become so great that the master changes his status and becomes a slave."
    SOURCE:
    American Bee Journal, February 1944

But of this I am confident.........strong hives will always bring top dollar regardless of what Paramount does. In all things beekeeping it's best to worry more about your own business than to fret about what others may be doing.
    I agree.

In another parlance:

"Drive your own Truck" is used by the dump truck drivers, and it means about the same thing. Don't worry about how the other guy is driving, just drive yours the best you can.

Crazy Roland

My favorite:

"We are all working very hard, and all trying to make a living at the same time"

Well that was cool. I quoted myself!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

If they are just buying bee operations all they are doing is taking over ownership of bees ,which is not really adding bees to the whole pollination equation . Let them see what its like ,if you run good bees you have nothing to worry about . If you are on top of things you don't need to import Australian packages. Id be more worried about the water situation.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

sjvbee did you sell out to paramount at that meeting

i wanted to get back to this post when i had more time.

i am sure all who read this will not care at all but i see this as a big problem. the reason i have become a commercial beekeeper is that the trade i was in has gone down the drain. commercial/industrial refrigeration service. a very technical field that takes the average man around 10 years doing it before you know enough to go out and fix 90 to 95% of the problems, and be able to do it for 30 hours or more straight.

during the electricity de regulation , a very big electric utility co. was trying to hold onto the supermarkets as customers because of there hi consumption and soo many of them out here. so they started a refrigeration service department and purchased 2 major contractors in the area. both had highly qualified techs and some not so good ones. many of my coworkers said it wouldnt work, i agreed. well we were half right. the newly formed service department was giving the service at a highly discounted rate.
    horror stories of low temp systems being down for days at a time, huge product losses that the utility co had to pay or there insurance paid. these big companies are almost self insured to half million dollars. store managers were begging their corporate offices to please call the other companies such as the one i worked at. corporate said no they are cheaper. what they were trying to do was make all contractors bring the price down , which some did. it worked. the pay has gone down and the companies will only keep the lower paid guys busy in the wintertime. it has become a part time job for many.

i know this is soo **** long but felt i needed to say this as when a big corp has all the money in the world they can force change, and you guys are the higher paid workers. hope you all have a back up plan, i do. by the way after a few years the utility co sold off that branch because it never made money, but they kept there customers. that company has change owners a few times, cant make a profit but the supermarket chains won. they got there low budget contracts out of it, and broke the refrigeration industry, i hope their stock went up that $2 for it. i just love corporate greed. thanks to anyone who suffered thru this long post.

just wanted to add that i realize they are less then 10% of growers but it can start a new trend and force prices lower.

Does anyone know a operation or beekeeper that sold to Paramount?
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

In all things beekeeping it's best to worry more about your own business than to fret about what others may be doing.
    In all things, not just beekeeping, it's best to worry more about your own business than to fret about what others may be doing.

The world would be a better place if more people followed Jim's advice.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Good advice rhaldridge. After all it is the only thing you can control and change.

Jean-Marc

WOW!!! nuf said i have been schooled by someone with 7 hives
    he must have 1 more than i do which is why i am posting in the commercial section
    Last edited by Jacobee; 09-11-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSPender View Post
    I heard a operation in Michigan sold out to Paramount, for a ridiculous amount of $$. But you know how rumors are. A large beekeeper in Florida (20,000 hives) was and might still be in talks with them .They are going to be at the Florida meeting next month, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by LSPender View Post
    I heard a operation in Michigan sold out to Paramount, for a ridiculous amount of $$. But you know how rumors are. A large beekeeper in Florida (20,000 hives) was and might still be in talks with them .They are going to be at the Florida meeting next month, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Maybe it was someone in MN that sold out, Trevor.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast