Default Huge Cut OUt need some advice

The hive is 8 feet from the entrance hole to the bottom of the hive and probably 5 feet wide. The bee are cantankerous but calm down with smoke. A lot nicer with smoke. The problem is the smoke is setting off the smoke detectors (inside cut out). What can I use to calm the bees so I can finish this job? I heard you can use liquid smoke. If that is the case what mixture do I use? Will sugar water help.

One other thing I think I found the queen but not on the hive. The bee I caught is pretty big and was having trouble flying. She couldn't get the lift needed to get back in the hive. My question is could this be a drone? Not sure of the size difference from a drone and a Queen. I Clipped the bee and put in the hive will see what tomorrow brings. Was late so we left.

Not so bad only 8 stings Found some pretty cool gloves they cant sting through except in certain area and they find them LOL

Thanks for the info in advance

Default Re: Huge Cut OUt need some advice

Wrap the smoke detector in plastic, open a window. Vacuum the bees with a bee vac. Once you get the numbers down, you will see a huge difference in their attitude. You wont have to use so much smoke. Liquid smoke? Bees are probably only hampered by being wet as with sugar water. Its a mess and you lose a lot of bees.
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

Cool thanks will be hitting them again with the vac. Hopefully I got the queen not sure though

Thanks Mr BeeMan I may have caught a huge drone then LOL. Will check it on my way to the site now Pics later tonight or tomorrow

hey Pops, beekeeper not to far from you if you need a hand with cut-out give me call will help little while today. have experience with cut-outs. my # is in your private message area