Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting

Default Re: Painting

Use an 8" roller, toss when finished.

A ok
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

You will find a heavier nap roller will do a much better job of pushing paint into the gaps and recesses. With older equipment we like to stack them 8 high and use a power sprayer to clean them and remove loose paint and debris. In the right conditions they can be primed within an hour or so. A pneumatic nailer or stapler can then be used to stiffen up the joints where nails are loose. It's a good idea to put a non cleated lid on the top box to keep them dry and free of paint mist.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by pndwind View Post
    How about the top and bottom edge?
    ???

pndwind- Nope, bees take care of that.

We paint and/or treat the bottom edges of the sides of hive bodies. That is the weak spot when you have side by side hives on pallet clips.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    We paint and/or treat the bottom edges of the sides of hive bodies. That is the weak spot when you have side by side hives on pallet clips.
    Is a roller the quickest way to do the edge or is there a quicker way?

Thanks everyone for the broad and informative conversation. These type of threads are why beesource is cool.

I have been using 2 coats a box all year and have been wondering for a while what the general consensus was. I like the roller on the corner idea. Even though I really try to hit the corners hard with the sprayer it just needs a little more. My boxes are all rabbit joints. I might post a picture if I can figure it out.

I like the Wooster 4" roller. It has a little cages, so it is just like a normal roller. It is small enough that it is easy to use and manipulate. And move a box at the same time.

I basically do what was said early, put them in a stack and spray, start with corners, then the flats & repeat both 1 more time.

I use the $20 spray from TSC. When I am done, I raise it out and drop it into a bucket of water for storage. Once its gunked up, toss it and buy another.
    Ben
    Hungry Bear Farms, www.HungryBearFarms.com Beekeeping Supplies and More...!

Another question. Say I got a great high end quality paint for real cheap (which I did $220 a 5 gallon bucket at full price) but it is a dark color. Would you place it underneath and cover with a lighter paint that was a good paint but not as good or would you mix it to lighten the color?

That is pricy paint! I don't go much darker than a forest green myself and I am north of the 48th parallel. What kid of paint has an asking price of over $40 a gallon? Is it made by Coach or Chanel?

Behr Marquee $220 for 5 gallons. I use it in semi-gloss ultra white on my boxes.

Last edited by dynemd; 07-15-2014 at 11:32 PM.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Why'd you do that?

image.jpgimage.jpg

We spray primer, then roll corners and brush handle areas. We then spray finish with top coat.

When using exterior latex, has anyone experienced having the paint on the box mating edges stick together? I'm talking to the degree that separation is difficult. Is there a remedy?

I use Valspar lately and boy do they stick together. Stacking them outdoors and leaving them in the weather a while seems to let them break their bond. Though that could just be my imagination.

A hive tool separates boxes nicely

Match sticks in between may help
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

TVBeek, are you talking about after you have them stacked on the hive rather than when you paint?

Mark, I've been using Valspar for the last three years and boxes will stick together the first year. After using for a season they seem to do ok. Gotta get a little propolis, wax, sweat, dust, etc., on them I guess. If you stack them together while you paint and let them dry edge against edge you need a deadblow hammer or a 2x4 to knock'em apart! I use the premium with primer, though I put a coat of Zinsser on first. I figure this is probably the only coat of paint they will ever get and it coats/seals them well and the boxes painted three years ago are holding up great. I use a brush. It goes without saying, though, that I don't have anywhere near the amount of equipment to paint as you commercial guys do and can take longer to paint each box.

Ed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast