Default Trying my first trap out

Over the last few days I have set up a trap out up on a tree. Think all of the extra holes in the tree are closed up. Using a PVC reducer from a 4 to 2 inch pipe with a 2 inch PVC as the funnel into the box. Set the trap out box up today. They were not happy. If they don't move within the next two weeks to a month they will die. Will try to post pictures.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Default Re: Trying my first trap out

Mr. Hogan - Once again thanks for the trap out instructions several months ago, they are great.

We have had a lot of rain over the last week (5+ inches yesterday) and the duct tape around the funnel had come off so most bees were bypassing. This tree has a huge crevice the hole was in and my design to keep the funnel in place needs more engineering. But they are not coming out of the crevice anywhere else. (NOTE - Design better method to attach funnel to tree.) Got the funnel back in place using lots of silicone to plug the cracks and lots of the field bees starting racing right through the trap, so it must not have been off long.

But finally had nice enough nice weather to grab a frame and half frame of open larvae and eggs to place in the trap box. Will likely check it on Monday. Rest of the week is predicted to be rain off and on. Have until around the end of the month so hopefully it works.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Try wrapping the tree with black plastic. I will post a couple of pics to show how I do it.

HC Trap 1.jpg

Hanes Harvester 1.JPG

cchoganjr

I will have to do some research on trapouts. Met some people that live close by, they have a bee tree, and would like the bees removed. Guess they have called a few keepers around here, but no one is interested. I may just tackle it.

Hogback Honey...Send me an e-mail... cchoganjr@scrtc.com and I will send you a document that will tell you how to do it, and has photos of traps in progress. All FREE.

cchoganjr

Hogback Honey - His plans are worth getting, describes it all clearly.

Good Luck