Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kelleys

Default Re: Kelleys

I think Lyles might have been the tip of the iceberg last year when he posted his dissatisfaction with Kellys.

I haven't purchased much in the last year or so, frames and foundation was what I usually bought from Kellys and the oddball tool. Since I first started beekeeping there was a rep that I worked with at Kellys. I happened to deal with her on one of my initial purchases and kept asking for her when I called, or, I would just email her directly. She was *excellent* in helping me out and would ship stuff out to me *fast*. Also, took good care of orders I'd email her for delivery to beekeeper meetings. Then about a year or so ago I emailed her and she responded that she would be leaving very shortly (like the next day) and that she would have to turn my order over to someone else. I sensed "something" in her voice that made me think "things weren't good". Not knowing her *that well* I didn't question her, but just wished her well. Since then, I've heard and read more complaints about negative experiences with Kelleys than ever before (only been beekeeping five years, though!). My mentor and his best friend (both in their 80's) also have had some negative experiences over the last year and no longer recommend Kellys (who they were very loyal to when I first started beekeeping). I don't think Walter Kelley wouldn't be a happy camper if he was still around.

Here's an article about the buy-out of Walter T. Kelly Company:
    http://www.beeculture.com/catch-the-...y-company-llc/

Here is a link to the company that bought Kellys: http://www.frandsencorporation.com/

And here is a quote from the "Frandsen Corporation" website:
    THE FRANDSEN WAY

Frandsen Corporation is an opportunistic, entrepreneurial holding company. We have built, acquired, and managed quality companies in diverse industries for more than sixty years. Explore these pages to learn more about where we came from, the way we operate, and the people who drive our businesses.

When the buyout was first talked about it was mentioned that the takeover would put some organization and better structure into the Kelly business...faster delivery, better customer service, etc.,. Apparently selling real estate, making plastic, and running banks is a tiny bit different from the bee business. Hopefully, for the honey industry/hobby, they *are* experiencing growing pains and will soon have the kinks out of things. Losing customers/money, though, isn't what an acquisition/holding company smiles about...it will be interesting to see what they do with Kellys over the next year or so.

Hopefully Kellys will rise like the phoenix...

Ed

I am waiting on an order that I am not even sure is going to be right. I made a mistake on the online order sheet and called a second latter and got a person who said they were going to fix it. Sadly if you look at their Google review here https://www.google.com/search?q=walt...e6e6feca3782,1
    you will see that they are not doing to well. I see them being below 2 stars by the end of this summer. I don't see how a company like will be supported by the market.
    On the bright side at least they wont have any more problems with having to much work on their hands if they keep moving in this fashion. I need to find an alternative to their foundationless frames that work well. I make all the wrest of my gear I use.
    P.S. I am up to 5 on request for information using their email inquiry program.
    Last edited by bean tree homestead; 06-16-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Called today to check on an order and it went right to voice mail...uggh..

There has been a change of management at the VERY top as of a couple of days ago...............
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Kelleys has had problems in the past but has always bounced back,short of Frandsen breaking them up they probably will recover if the "new management " knows bees.

poor valley bee farm

I put in an order May 14th and received it exactly as ordered today June 17th. I expected a delay because of the time of year and the influx of new beekeepers ordering things as they find they need them. 4 caught swarms left me a bit short of supplies which I didn't expect. I'll order from Kelley's again as I believe that the 1st year with new owners is a learning process. They have to improve or they will lose to many customers.

I only buy from them when I have no choice. They are by far the slowest shippers of anybody that I deal with. I just bought 3 freeman beetle traps from a mom and pop shop and I got the tracking number the same day.

Kelly's doesn't know what a tracking number is....
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 13 hives / 3 nd Year / T {OAV}

I have never had any problems with kellys for years. Always were fast to ship always quick to respond and I always got what I ordered. That is up until this year. Hard to get a hold of every order took forever to get. So this week I thought I would just drive down to kellys to pick up some stuff I needed. I had read awhile back they had been sold. When I got there they are just as friendly as ever. I believe I have figured out what's up. When I was their I got to go back into the warehouse. They are busy !!! The corporation that bought them is a supplier for Rural King and Tractor Supply and another retailer I do not remember who. They are supplying all of these places and individual beekeepers. Small company trying to supply all these retail stores. I'm not trying to defend them I just wanted to see why a company that I have dealt with for years without one problem was all of a sudden unreliable. I do believe in time that they will get back on the right track. They are good people . BTW there sign out front in big black and white letters say Now Hiring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123