Hybrid View

Default Question about finding a mentor.

I will be to the point as I understand time is money.

I recently fell in love with beekeeping.

I live in Western Colorado.

Is there anyone who could mentor me in the ways of being a medium+ scale comercial beekeeper?
    I would like to learn the back end as well as the differences between keeping bees as a hobby and massive operations.

Thanks for your time.

Default Re: Question about finding a mentor.

When the student is ready, the right teacher will come along. The trick is realizing what is being taught.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Join a local bee club, Mentor = friend. Make a few you will find the one who clicks with you.

Not many folks do it anymore, but offer to work for free doing "anything" they need you to do. I did this with someone and was able to learn tons of stuff already (but there is tons still to learn). Sometimes I would be transporting hives and extracting supers on a mass scale, other times I would be sweeping the shop up for hours just to show my worth. All I asked in return was the learning side. The beekeeper and I are now good friends, he actually helps me (for beer)

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    When the student is ready, the right teacher will come along. The trick is realizing what is being taught.
    Would that be "beeswax on" or "beeswax off" master?

Nunya

Thanks angel but with my current work schedule I am not able to work for someone without a pre set prior arrangement and usually not more than for two weeks. I had hoped for more positive responses.

I would like to add that I would be willing to pay for the "internship".

When can you start? What are your qualifications beyond an interest? How much weight can you pick up? What's your past work history like? Gotta valid CDL? Got your own suit, veil, gloves, smoker, and hive tool? Transportation? Been stung before? How long can you stay away from home? Sorry if my first reply was not to your liking. Facts of life are oft times harsh. Best to be blunt. Actually Blunt is my middle name. Or should be. When can you start?

Take a week or two of your holidays and spread them out over the season volunteering with a commercial beekeeper or negotiate a small wage if you feel the need. Take Monday off every other week or something. This way you can pre-arrange it.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

zhiv9 thanks for the great response. I would do that, however I am somewhat rural. So at least a two hour drive to the closest commercial beekeeper and 6-8 hours to any large city.

Sqkcrk I have my own equipment. No CDL, my own transportation, many stings. And again I have a great job and I do not plan to quit to start a commercial operation, I just have a love for bees and business.

I can start with around a two week window, I can stay for about two weeks. I would prefer someone to have at the very least 200 hives for a pollinating business, or for a queen producer around 200+ sold a year. I am also interested in large scale wax operations. At this time I am uninterested in commercial honey operations.

Your desire to run a modest amount of bees without running for honey will put you out of busi ness before you ever get going. Bees need honey for successful propagation. Make a good honey crop and have hives health and strong for the next polinnation season. Make poor honey crop and your hives will fall apart come winter. Bees winter poorly on corn syrup. Learn to run your bees for honey and you will succeed as a pollinator,no need for a good job. If you are interested in learning more about commercial honey prodution, I am hiring soon for a 6-7 week honey harvest season,housing furnished. You will learn lots.

One of these days, Im going to drive my kids to California and let them take in Disney land, while I find a beekeeper who will take me on as a labourer for a couple weeks... I would love to see that business in action.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

sent you a PM if you really want to learn I will show you what little I know