Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

supersedure cell?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
inspected the hive today and found this on one of the frames the frame was only half drawn out. Is this a queen supersedure cell? the opening was facing toward the bottom of the frame. and as a side note I am not pleased with the plastic black frames vs the yellow plastic frame that has the wax coating as the black ones took for ever to draw out and are not very evenly drawn out.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
looks like goofy drone/burr comb to me. A common theme with plastic, you probably need to melt some wax and add a coat to most of it to get it drawn well, but some bees take to it quickly, but I've found it's used as a last resort and it's 50/50 if it gets drawn properly.

#8 ·
Is there an egg or larvae in the cup? If not, then don't think anything of it. It means absolutely nothing. If there is a larvae and you have been feeding constantly it's a trickier proposition, but if you haven't, I would guess it's just a supersedure cell. I would let it run it's course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.