Since a major beekeeping company took over a month for my nails to come in, I decided to start buying nails locally. The only issue is I cannot find a 7D nail anywhere locally. Only 6d and 8d. As there are many threads on this subject, I wanted to take it a step further with questions about what will leach out or corrode in the wood, and what not to use so I'm not faced with issues down the road. I'm faced with terms like "hot dipped galvanized" "galvanized" "electro-galvanized", "zinc electroplated" "pre-galvanized" and the list goes on.....
For the sake of not confusing the subject matter, please leave types of screws out if you don't mind. Just nails.
1. 7d nails (from Internet search) are 2.25". There are some 8d nails at local hardware stores that are also 2.25" as well as 2.5". What gives? Same thing?
2. Which of the galvanized, aluminum, cement-coated or stainless steel would be best to use on hives?
3. Which is best or worse in this matter to use? Shanks of (straight, ring, spiral) and heads of (common, box, casing, siding)?
4. What does the 7d indicate? Is it the head gauge of the nail? If so, then it appears the 6d is a larger head than the 7d.
5. Most "nail charts" have 6d and 8d but omit the 7d nail. I am assuming the reason is because there isn't much difference between the 8d and 7d?