Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Weird thing happened...

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    One time I was at my work, in the office of a secretary.

To this day, I have no explanation for where that crappie jig came from.

I think somebody's line must of have broken in an alternative universe and it flew into ours.

Hillary's heard the same story.

"I was working on a lawn mower outside the shop and as I made a trip inside for another tool I returned just as a crow was making off with a 3/8 and 7/16 box end wrench. Their nest often has a cache of shiny and colorful little treasures."

That must be where all my lost hive tools went.

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    i got off the interstate close to home once and stopped at the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp. no cars were coming but right in the middle of the road in front of me was a decent size trout. i don't think it was flopping although that would be even better. i looked at it for a second, then stuck my head out the window and there was an osprey circling over head. clumsy fish hawks.
    I hear ya! Several years ago I was fishing on Yellowstone Lake and saw an osprey catch a trout. The bird dropped the fish while trying to turn it around head first (that's how they carry them in flight). She didn't bother to go get the same fish which was floating on the surface, but flew on and started circling again a little while later. Clumsy fish hawks.

How would you like to see a cow fall from the sky...

http://www.rulesmaster.com/news/view/11/page:3

When I was a kid and someone would say it was "raining cats and dogs" my Grandpa would relate the story of the time he saw it rain "frogs and snakes" when a tornado picked up the contents of the pond and dumped them on the house...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hah, that phrase jogged a memory. I have an autographed copy, with a personal inscription to me, by Nancy Byrd Turner, of her book When It Rained Cats and Dogs. She didn't coin the phrase though ... goes back at least another 2 centuries earlier.

I recall being given the book, and being bewildered for days as to how such a thing could be physically possible, and how harmful that phenomenon would be to the cats and dogs.

http://www.amazon.com/When-rained-ca.../dp/0397303548

I had a customer one day call me to repair his flashing around his chimney. He told me his roof started to leak the week before. As I inspected his roof, I found two holes about the size of quarters THROUGH his roof from the outside. Whatever it was that made these holes was forceful enough to go through the entire roof structure but could not be found.

Had a starling fall into the chimney once. Figure he was keeping warm perched there and was overcome. He fell down and slid out the furnace's slanted thing a ma jig. Free Bird! (pun intended)

Had an exhausting time trying to catch the stupid thing what with a basement with only some suspended ceiling and the laundry room/furnace room provided the access. The bird went in there.

Needless to say, there is now wire mesh over that furnace chimney!

>Whatever it was that made these holes was forceful enough to go through the entire roof structure but could not be found.

Hail?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Dan. NY View Post
    Something fell on my wood porch. One person bent over and picked up a metal item that looks like a small chess piece, the knight.
    I'll go with the crow theory.

Similar happened to me, I was on the porch, suddenly BANG and a section of vertebra bone bounced on the timbers near me. Looked up, nothing. Totally confused for a few seconds. Then a large seagull came into view circling back to see if it could reclaim it's bone.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Seagulls will drop things deliberately. They're known to carry clams aloft and drop them on pavement or rocks to crack them open. At one point I recall experiments down on Hatteras Island, where they painted gulls on the roads. It's not that they thought that gulls would avoid harming their own kind with this bombing activity, but would avoid being robbed by gulls in the target zone.

image.jpgimage.jpgHere is an image of the item. Anyone have a guess what this is? The hole in the bottom is weird for a chess piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan. NY View Post
    image.jpgimage.jpgHere is an image of the item. Anyone have a guess what this is? The hole in the bottom is weird for a chess piece.
    Definitely a chess piece, and definitely small enough to be carried by a bird. My guess the hole was drilled to attach it to a fob of some sort. The unlucky owner lost it and a greedy bird of some sort, probably a Crow, stole it. Seems they are mesmerized by shiny objects. Add it to your Key Ring. G

Looks like a chess piece to me. The hole in the bottom may be a function of the molding process used to manufacture the piece, especially if it is from a cheap set.

Just be thankful that chess piece dropping from the sky was not one of a somewhat larger scale ...

photo credit
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Looks like a chess piece to me. The hole in the bottom may be a function of the molding process used to manufacture the piece, especially if it is from a cheap set.

Just be thankful that chess piece dropping from the sky was not one of a somewhat larger scale ...

photo credit