Default How to configure deep to reintroduce new queen

Please tell me if this is a good strategy. We just have backfilled nectar/honey/pollen in the brood area of both boxes. We have virtually empty frames on each end of the two deeps (totalling around 5 frames). Should we swap out those outer frames with mostly honey frames and put the empty frames in the middle of the upper deep for a brood area for the new queen so we can insert her between the empty frames? We plan to drive up to Boulder to get the new queen on Sunday. Thanks as always for your ideas and Happy Independence Day to all!

Default Re: How to configure deep to reintroduce new queen

Sounds like a good idea to me. Then the bees won't have to move all the honey to the outside.

if theres no flow they will do very little with the blank frames. If you have open drawn comb definitely put in the middle. They can move around wet nectar without much trouble, capped or uncapped honey is a little different. They will likely turn honey into brood, unless your own a flow.

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm not sure where they would move the nectar since it seems as if most of the cells are full of nectar or pollen or honey & capped honey. Would they have to draw out comb to move the nectar? We are still feeding sugar water, but they have really slowed and I was thinking of pulling the jar until we saw the situation in the hive today. Once we install the new queen, would you continue to feed for a while so they can draw more comb to switch things around?

Well, did find some partially drawn frames on the outside of both boxes. It was a bit tricky moving the heavy honey frames to the ends and putting the drawn frames (5) in the middle. Those honey frames are so thick, it was challenging to have room to squeeze the queen cage in with some space for them to feed her. I'll look back in on Wed. and hope for the best! It's been high 90's here (though low humidity). Wish me luck!