Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: buying a cappings spinner?

From what I have read and depending on your method of harvesting, I found an average of 1:100 meaning 1 pound of wax for 100 pounds of honey. I might be wrong but it must be somewhat close.
    The site I have read and from other larger beekeepers is where I gathered my information from. So there would be a lot of honey in 1 5 gal bucket to extract still.
    Some places say 2:100, I think it depends on the thickness of combs and if you crush and strain.

Either way I am getting a spinner
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

I don't think there is a definitive number. The heavier the flow, the heavier the wax secretion instinct becomes.
    This time of year I do a lot of driving the area on evenings and week ends, spot checking bee yards to determine where our time is best spent in the coming days.
    Here's an observation that I have noticed through the years. You can usually get a real good idea for how full the top box is by knocking on the lid just like you would knock on a door (we use a non-recessed lid). The fuller hives build burr comb up under the lid resulting in a solid "knock" while the emptier ones sound hollow......EXCEPT on boxes which contain a number of sheets of foundation. Many of those sound hollow yet are nearly full as all the bees comb making energy goes into drawing out foundation with little energy spent making additional, relatively useless, burr comb on the top bars. My conclusion is that when a flow is in progress that wax secretions are instinctively tuned to building new comb and not filling out drawn comb where the needs are much less. More drawn comb = more burr comb.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

It would be nice to know a ballpark number to help determine how much honey is being separated from the cappings. Will it net you 1000lb of honey and enough wax for bricks/candles to pay itself back in a season? Plus how much time is saved? The Jr could be a cheaper introduction and serve your needs for a season or 2. Resale on these are pretty good, and then you can get exactly what your operation needs without going full chips in too early.

Before I bought my Maxent Sr spinner several years ago, I had left all my wax cappings to drain for about a month before the spinner showed up in my honey house. I had always let the cappings drain this way for years and was curious as you as to how much honey I would be able to spin out. I filled six five gallon buckets with cappings. What I ended up with was six gallons of honey from the spinning process. Worth the money to buy the spinner, it will have a return on your investment.

Ben Little, I needed some way to spin my cappings and I do not have room for a spinner until I build a much larger building so what to do? I have a 60 frame Dadant extractor. I built 6 screened boxes out of old shallow supers, place them in the extractor, then I can scoop my cappings in and spin them out. The boxes hold right at 35 gallons of cappings. I extract thru the day, draining off the honey from the cappings, at the end of the day I scoop the cappings into my homemade boxes and spin them out. Hardest part is dumping out the wax after the spinning. Attached are some photos. You will see in the photos I took one end out of the shallow super, covered one side with plywood, the other side with 1/8" hardware screen, reinforced around the top with 1x2 lumber, 1x1 lumber to hold the screen on the box and a lid to keep the wax in while spinning. I placed a 1x1 across the middle of the screen to keep it from buldging out while spinning, it needs two like in photo #8. Maybe this will get you by till later like it is me. The cost is right, about one day of my own 'free' labor. Victor H

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg

Very cool ! I wish I had a bigger radial extractor for that, I might build a smaller box for my 1400 maxant and try it. Thanks for the pictures !
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Victor, How much honey do you get out of 6 boxes worth of capping?

RAK, Obviously it depends on how 'wet' the cappings are with honey. If wet cappings I get around 10 gallons honey, if I let them drain over night or so about 6 gallons honey.
    Victor H

I have just used my new to me Maxant Jr. for the first time this year. I uncap directly into it. I lift off the cappings with a fork, I can do about 20 frames in 20 minutes, just the amount of time my Dadant 20 takes to spin. Once I have the extractor running I uncap the next 20 into my spinner and hold them in my uncapping tray. The timing seems to work out perfect for me, no bottlenecks. I just picked up a used Kelley vibrating jiggle knife, so that may change things once I put it into the mix.
    I was amazed at the amount of honey I am retrieving that I "lost" in previous years. I figure I have 6 three gallon buckets of dry cappings so far, and have emptied over 6 gallons of saved honey from those cappings. It might not pay for itself in year one, but it won't take a lot longer than that. I'm not half done extracting yet.
    65 hives, not commercial, but it might give you an idea.

The first time I used a cappings spinner....maxant jr. For 100 hives, average 180lbs a hive, we saved at least 1 barrel, 600 lbs of honey with the spinner. That was with a flail chain uncapper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12