Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Farm license plates (benefits or regulations) <38,000lb transports

I assume this is the Map-21 wording that HarryVanderpool is talking about.

A ‘‘covered farm vehicle’’ (CFV), as defined in Sec. 32934, is a straight truck or articulated vehicle (e.g., a large pickup, a truck pulling a trailer, sometimes a standard tractor semitrailer combination) registered in a State that is used by the owner or operator of a farm or ranch (or an employee or family member of a farm or ranch owner or
    operator) to transport agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies, provided the truck has a license plate or other designation issued by the State of registration that allows law enforcement personnel to identify it as a farm vehicle. Although a CFV may not be used in for-hire motor carrier operations, a share-cropper’s use of a
    vehicle to transport the landlord’s share of the crops may not be treated as a forhire operation. If the CFV has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross vehicle
    weight rating (GVWR), whichever is greater, of 26,001 pounds or less, it may take advantage of the CFV exemption described below while operating
    anywhere in the United States. A CFV with a GVW or GVWR, whichever is greater, above 26,001 pounds, may travel anywhere in the State of registration or across State borders
    within 150 air miles of the home farm or ranch—but the vehicle would lose its status as a CFV and the corresponding exemptions if it exceeded these geographical limits. In large States like Texas or California, the operator of a CFV with a GVW or GVWR above 26,001 pounds will be able to travel much more than 150 air-miles within the State. However, if the CFV crosses a State line, its exempt operations under this MAP–21 provision are limited to a 150 air-mile radius from the home farm or ranch.

but in another section it says

Section 391.2(b), which provides an exception from Part 391 for a beekeeper using a CMV for the seasonal transportation of bees, is also retained. Like custom harvesters, beekeepers do not meet the definition of a CFV because they rarely operate a farm or ranch; they typically place beehives on marginal farm or ranch land owned or operated

so since beekeepers do not meet the definiton of a CFV(although some might) then you do not get the exception in the entire USA?

clear as mud yet? now if you have a farm # from the usda, and you are a beekeeper do you qualify for being a CFV.

the above text says " it may take advantage of the CFV exemption described below while operating anywhere in the United States."

but word below means in the Map-21 everything after that word, the next paragraph? I still haven't figured out what it exempts you from.

Harry was correct here are the exemptions:

390.39 Exemptions for ‘‘covered farm
    vehicles.’’
    (a) Federal requirements. A covered
    farm vehicle, as defined in 390.5,
    including the individual operating that
    vehicle, is exempt from the following:
    (1) Any requirement relating to
    commercial driver’s licenses in 49 CFR
    Part 383 or controlled substances and
    alcohol use and testing in 49 CFR Part
    382;
    (2) Any requirement in 49 CFR Part
    391, Subpart E, Physical Qualifications
    and Examinations.
    (3) Any requirement in 49 CFR Part
    395, Hours of Service of Drivers.
    (4) Any requirement in 49 CFR Part
    396, Inspection, Repair, and
    Maintenance.
    Last edited by wildbranch2007; 07-09-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added exemptions
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

get ag plates in ny and you are covered. you notice in the new map-21 it states " GVW or GVWR" it does not state "GCVWR" so if your driving a truck and trailer, even articulated, over 26001, you actually should have a CDL(just to be safe and actually be qualified and know how to handle that weight) but are exempt hours of service with AG plates, anywhere in the US. Farm plates are restricted to 150 miles. I spoke at length with a DOT supervisor and they are not at all happy with the wording, and also the ability now to sleep in your truck. So like me with my pickup and gooseneck full of hives, I'm over 26000, I have a CDL, pull into weigh stations, and am exempt hours of service, although i usually stop to rest, not as young as i was.
    3rd generation Disabled Veteran, oldest son is 4th Generation Disabled Veteran...its a family tradition.

I wonder if my trucker could get AG plates on his semi and trailer? And if he did whether he would be exempt from the restricted hours?

I understand that truckers are going to be even more restricted not only in hours they can drive but in hours they can work and then have to take down time. It's gonna be harder for solo drivers to haul bees long distances.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

i asked that question, ag plates on the tractor yes, trailer no.
    3rd generation Disabled Veteran, oldest son is 4th Generation Disabled Veteran...its a family tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by scokat View Post
    get ag plates in ny and you are covered. you notice in the new map-21 it states " GVW or GVWR" it does not state "GCVWR" so if your driving a truck and trailer, even articulated, over 26001, you actually should have a CDL(just to be safe and actually be qualified and know how to handle that weight) but are exempt hours of service with AG plates, anywhere in the US.
    Well, I hate to bring this up and you know that I do...
    This is yet another good reason for a towable forklift!
    In Oregon, towable forklifts are licensed as "Fixed Load Trailers".
    In Oregon fixed load trailers DO NOT add to your total weight as most other trailers do.
    So, if your truck has a GCVWR of 26001 lbs you can load the truck to its limit and tow your forklift.
    Not sure about Californica. But almost everyone that I know there doesn't even bother to license them anyway and seem to get by with that just fine.

I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Quote Originally Posted by scokat View Post
    get ag plates in ny and you are covered. but are exempt hours of service with AG plates, anywhere in the US.
    I spoke at length with a DOT supervisor and they are not at all happy with the wording.
    One question I still have, anyone know the answer. Previous to the map-21 HOS were exempt during planting season, does map-21 change this?
    It's also my understanding, if I read the laws correctly b/4 map-21, that the feds allow states to make the regulations more restrictive for safety reasons, so the state
    can adopt the fed laws, but make parts of it more restrictive?
    mike syracuse ny

Isn't that true w/ any Federal Law or Reg. States can make it more stringent, but not more lax?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

http://newyorkfarmshow.com/story-far...s-kick-0-64267

The hours of service exemption provides relief from federal hours of service rules during the planting and harvesting seasons. This exemption covers drivers transporting agricultural commodities or farm supplies within a 150 air-mile radius from the source or distribution point

NY farm show says only during planting and harvesting season, and still says 150 miles for map-21.
    mike syracuse ny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12