Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Farm license plates (benefits or regulations) <38,000lb transports

In the state of Kentucky, and particularly in my area, there are a lot of regular pickup trucks that have a farm license plates. Reading KY state rules, if I'm reading it right it appears that if your hauling 0-38,000 lb of agricultural products then you will need to have one of these plates.

Questions:

1. So, if this is a fact, then hobby beekeepers transporting 2 supers need these plates?
    2. Does anyone know what benefits these plates can be used for if not for regulations, then for transporting on Interstate vs backroads avoiding axel weights?
    3. What reasons would I need a farm plate? Seems like I remember the kids in AG class saying they are getting a plate because it looked cool, but could never give me a reason why they needed one.
    New 2013, 13 Hives, Zone 6b, 1350'

Default Re: Farm license plates (benefits or regulations) <38,000lb transports

Angel your local Dept Motor Vehicle can answer and is best for answering your questions about the law.

Listen to BMAC, there is variations from state to state. We have a farm plate because they are WAY cheaper.

Crazy Roland

The KY Farm Bureau has published a summary of the KY Farm Vehicle regulations that may be more readable than wading through the actual state code:

https://www.kyfb.com/media/files/fed...20Book-WEB.pdf

My quick read is that you are not required to have Farm plates on a highway legal truck, but may choose to do so, primarily because the annual 'Farm' licensing fee is lower than with ordinary plates.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

In nys the main advantage of an agriculture plate is no sales tax has to paid when you buy a truck. we also have a farm plate but is only good from farm to farm. as said every state is different. our agriculture plate is good for interstate as we keep bees in sc.

With the weights you quoted you are into the CDL classes of licensing best ask the DMV
    Hint: CDL starts at 26,001 lb.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Listen to BMAC, there is variations from state to state. We have a farm plate because they are WAY cheaper.

Crazy Roland
    How far away from home can you drive those vehicles? Out of State? Farm Plates in NY, plates w/ the word FARM on them, restrict one to travel between Farms one owns or land one rents, between farm and feed store, and w/in 75 miles of home farm. Not to be used to go to the grocery store. Opposed to Agricultural Plates.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Each state is going to be different. I have no problem getting a farm registration on my 3500 GMC and 4500 Kodiak trucks. The state won't allow me to register my 2500 Chevy as a farm truck so its licence, registration and insurance are more money. In the past when I would register, they would ask for proof that I owned farmland. It took some extra work and explanation that as a beekeeping I didn't own farmland, but used the truck for agriculture purposes.

SQKCRK - We have been as far as Mississippi for bees from Jenson in the '60s.

Crazy Roland

The local motor department said its just a decal/status for the Kentucky farm plates. I find that hard to believe, but that's all they knew.
    New 2013, 13 Hives, Zone 6b, 1350'

Do a search.... " MAP21" may help.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

It varies between states...for example glorification a farm plate you are limited to 150 airmile radius. My kenworth is lisc for 80k KY farm tag. I drive it to South Florida and to northern WI. Also exempt from some DOT inspections and no cdl required regardless of weight if within 150 mikes of your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Do a search.... " MAP21" may help.
    From my reading of Map 21 a bee guy could get away with a lot of the DOT headaches if it he had yards less than 200 air miles miles from anywhere he's going. Anyone have land in the middle of the Utah salt flats off of interstate 80?

Where are you reading that.? Was this not one of his shovel ready projects.

Sorry. My bad. Its 150 miles.

If you are under 26k gvw its limitless mile wise. 150 air miles from " the farm" over 26k

See the following for a little help:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa...st-13-3-13.pdf

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations.../section/390.5

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations.../section/390.5

If you use Google chrome enter "control and G" simultaneously and put the word "farm" in the search function. Read them and comment.

There used to be a pdf with all this up on one link regarding MAP 21 but the link is not off:
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/M...09-26-2012.pdf

I have a printed copy in my truck just in case some ignoramus tries enforcing a law that does not exist.
    Last edited by Honey-4-All; 07-06-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Add info

> There used to be a pdf with all this up on one link regarding MAP 21 but the link is not off:

The FMCSA issued a final rule in March 2013 that likely lead to the older link being removed. Here is a link to the Federal Register publication of the March 2013 Agricultural Exemption of MAP-21 final rule:
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa...ommodities.pdf
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Radar. Thanks. Copies printed for the trucks. Have not had not had to use it yet but anything to fill ones arsenal prior to an encounter with the road NAZI"s or the judge that will follow a confrontation with them is always helpful. Now all I have to do is find a few "stop and peak" yards along those "more than" 150 mile routes and we will be good to go. Did notice on the bottom of 16190 and top of 16191 that we will need to have a hive on the truck if we are transporting "honey." Finally found a good use for dead-outs.

Need to follow up with a big word of thanks to those "farm State" legislators that got this placed in the bill. Something like this would never come out of the minds of any of the liberal mush filled Senators from the Left coast.

Notice in Map-21 that if under 26001 CGVW, your rigs are allowed anywhere in the USA. NO 150 mile limit
    And remember, after 3 years of inception, each state has to comply with these rules.
    So it does not matter if state rules say 100 or 150 miles after 3 years.
    Many of us chase the semis into almonds with our flatbeds and forklifts that are under 26001#
    Map 21 allows us to do that with all of the exemptions in place.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Not so sure about the three year thing. It says it is effective immediately. The three year thing appliers to loss of certain federal highway funds if they do not. As per the usefulness in AG i give it a 10+.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Notice in Map-21 that if under 26001 CGVW, your rigs are allowed anywhere in the USA. NO 150 mile limit
    I read that multiple times, BUT, I can never figure out what statements override what statements. where does it say no 150 mile limit, could you cut and past it into a post.
    off the top of my head it says they are allowed anywhere in the USA. I can't see any where where they say there is no 150 mile limit. and if you are articulated you have even more restrictions than a straight truck under 26,001. And all of the exceptions are during growing season the way I read it, correct? They make this way to complicated, now I have to go re read it for the third time.
    also in another part, they say states can make the rules harder for safety, so I interpret that as each state can still alter the rules.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast