Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: uncapping for 100 hives

Not to hijack, but I will be buying an uncapper for either next year or the year after. Looking at comparative pictures from Mann Lake and Maxant, does anyone know if they are the same, just re-branded or completely different designs?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetastic View Post
    Not to hijack, but I will be buying an uncapper for either next year or the year after. Looking at comparative pictures from Mann Lake and Maxant, does anyone know if they are the same, just re-branded or completely different designs?
    Mann Lake is reselling Maxant.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

AstroBee, did you end up purchasing a Maxant system? Would love to hear your experience.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Not trying to in any way be rude but I am really having trouble with the visual picture of a 40 year veteran with a heated knife getting outpaced by someone wielding a cold knife. Hand uncapping was something of a legacy in our family with the standard always being that you were expected to do 150 to 200 medium boxes per day and we did it daily for weeks on end.
    A Master uncapping knife has a touchy thermostat. They need to be turned high enough to do the job when in continuously use but NEVER left "dry" for long or they can be burned out. When properly adjusted it is quite literally like a hot knife through butter. A single swath through a medium frame should be no more than 3 to 4 seconds per side another 5 to 10 seconds on the top and bottom bars and the rest of the time is devoted to removing the frames, scraping the box and setting the uncapped frame on a holding rack or directly in the extractor. A fourth person in the extracting room could speed things quite a bit by relieving the uncapper a from the work of scraping boxes and carting in more stacks of honey. Deeps take a bit longer though it is quite possible to cut them in a single swath as well. As I said, I guess you just need to see it in action to fully understand. The fact that you are working alone makes it somewhat of a moot point, though, as a hot knife should never be left unattended for more than a minute or so, which means constantly unplugging and reheating which isn't a good option.
    Sorry, I disrupted your thread, I'll let it die. Best of luck.
    Just wanted to voice my appreciation for your experience and articulate replies. Everyone will make their own decisions but its always good to have multiple views, especially historical ones that die out from group think and the pursuit of unskilled cheaper ways of doing things. I didn't see it as a disruption

Last year my employee and I with normal knives uncapped 40 mediums of 8 frames each in about 4 to 5 hours. I have an electric extractor that is not automatic. About 50 % of the time my employee was with the extractor and to take frame and to put them. Last year I draw 8 ton of honey with this process. This year I expect extract at least 12 ton with the same procedure. Making some minor adjustments I think I can go from 40 to 60 mediums in the same time.

It's just my experience. I agree with Jim when he says that a trained hand can make faster and better than a machine. I can do much faster than this example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PHUwUGpFWQ. The only con is that we get tire and the machine does not. From a certain size I think is essential to mechanise the process.
    "We are two abysses - a well staring the sky." Fernando Pessoa