Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: uncapping for 100 hives

My skills at uncapping leave much to be desired. My goal is the 200 hive mark. I'm not trying to come off as anywhere close to an expert. I purchased the sideliner slit uncapper.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/795/

It works well for me. I don't have to deal with a great deal of capping wax. I don't know what you guys will think of it. There is a video showing how it works and based on my experience the video is accurate.

An idea to consider is getting a used silver queen and having it rebuilt. I like them because they can be loaded and running while you are moving supers etc. Furthermore you only have to lift the frames once and are not constantly handling the frames. Chain uncappers do not work well on old or cold honey. Of course I am biased because I can always use the wax.

Quote Originally Posted by JCA Beeswax Processing View Post
    An idea to consider is getting a used silver queen and having it rebuilt.
    Nice idea, but I've never seen a used one come available anywhere close to where I live. Perhaps closer to large honey producing areas, but buying site unseen and having it shipped could be more than some are willing to gamble.

Didn't realize that chain uncappers don't work on cold honey or old comb. I generally don't deal with "cold" honey as most of mine is done before October, when its still warm outside.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

They are hard to find. There just isn't a lot that goes wrong with them. I sold a well used but imminently serviceable silver queen about 10 years ago for 2/3rds of new price.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

her is a link to reconditioned silver queen, no price given. I bought my silver queen here, had it shipped in, along time ago for a reasonable price. silver queen is down toward the bottom.

http://www.herbee.com/page10.htm
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Jim Lyon, You brought back good memories. I also grew up in a 5,000 hive operation that used a hot knife to uncap. It is an amazing thing to watch a skilled person at work. I wish I had a video of my Dad uncapping. He changed over in the Nebraska operation to the Bogenschutz uncapper in the late 1960’s, but the Texas operation stayed by knife until the 1980’s. Dad never did change to radial extractors, instead we used two Superior Lifetime 8 frame extractors. An experienced operator could extract 20+ drums of honey an 8 hour day with them. I know I did it for many, many, many seasons. When I went on my own I used a hot knife to uncap until I went over 500 hives. Jim, in about 1969 Walter Weldon offered his bee business for sale to Dad so we traveled to Winner, SD to look at it while we were in the area we visited some of your family (Archie and Charlie) and I well remember there hand knife operation. We also visited the Smith or Smidt brothers. Oh the good ol’ days.
    Victor Halbgewachs

We are using the Maxant chain uncapper over the spinner. We will not be keeping this system. It does a good job of uncapping but that is where it ends. The spinner is kept running all the time. It will build up with wax several times throughout the day and if it is not kept in check the capping's will ride over the top of the drum and into the clarifier. The chains produce a lot of small wax particles and the clarifier will need skimmed several times a day. This system may work good if you were putting everything through a spin float.

Quote Originally Posted by Makin' Honey View Post
    Jim Lyon, You brought back good memories. I also grew up in a 5,000 hive operation that used a hot knife to uncap. It is an amazing thing to watch a skilled person at work. I wish I had a video of my Dad uncapping. He changed over in the Nebraska operation to the Bogenschutz uncapper in the late 1960’s, but the Texas operation stayed by knife until the 1980’s. Dad never did change to radial extractors, instead we used two Superior Lifetime 8 frame extractors. An experienced operator could extract 20+ drums of honey an 8 hour day with them. I know I did it for many, many, many seasons. When I went on my own I used a hot knife to uncap until I went over 500 hives. Jim, in about 1969 Walter Weldon offered his bee business for sale to Dad so we traveled to Winner, SD to look at it while we were in the area we visited some of your family (Archie and Charlie) and I well remember there hand knife operation. We also visited the Smith or Smidt brothers. Oh the good ol’ days.
    Victor Halbgewachs
    http://s470.photobucket.com/user/jim...tml?sort=3&o=2
    .....then this pic may look familiar to you. Thanks for the memories Victor, our paths may well have crossed. I would have been one of the smart *** teen agers slaving away there in the late 60's. Perhaps even uncapping under dad's watchful eye......"you missed a spot there Jimmy".
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    We are using the Maxant chain uncapper over the spinner. We will not be keeping this system. It does a good job of uncapping but that is where it ends. The spinner is kept running all the time. It will build up with wax several times throughout the day and if it is not kept in check the capping's will ride over the top of the drum and into the clarifier. The chains produce a lot of small wax particles and the clarifier will need skimmed several times a day. This system may work good if you were putting everything through a spin float.
    How many hives are you running? How large is the clarifier? What are you planning on replacing it with?

Thanks
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by zhiv9 View Post
    How many hives are you running? How large is the clarifier? What are you planning on replacing it with?

Thanks
    We are around 300 hives right now and expanding. The clarifier is Maxant's largest one, 28 gallon. They could have a better designed clarifier. It only has one baffle, there should be more. We will be moving to a spin float down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    We are around 300 hives right now and expanding. The clarifier is Maxant's largest one, 28 gallon. They could have a better designed clarifier. It only has one baffle, there should be more. We will be moving to a spin float down the road.
    Thanks for the feedback, it's a bit disappointing as I am basically looking at purchasing what you have. I wonder if Maxant would add couple of extra baffles to clarifier as a special order. There really aren't that many uncapping options at the ~100 hive size. I think you really need to be more in your range to justify a silver queen and probably twice that many hives for a spin float.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Adding baffles is easy for us to do!
    They are slotted now so they can be adjusted height wise.

Quote Originally Posted by zhiv9 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, it's a bit disappointing as I am basically looking at purchasing what you have. I wonder if Maxant would add couple of extra baffles to clarifier as a special order. There really aren't that many uncapping options at the ~100 hive size. I think you really need to be more in your range to justify a silver queen and probably twice that many hives for a spin float.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    http://s470.photobucket.com/user/jim...tml?sort=3&o=2
    .....then this pic may look familiar to you. Thanks for the memories Victor, our paths may well have crossed. I would have been one of the smart *** teen agers slaving away there in the late 60's. Perhaps even uncapping under dad's watchful eye......"you missed a spot there Jimmy".
    Jim, Thanks for the retro photos knife uncapping and others, I love looking at those old photos. By the way is that orange or citrus trees in the background of the one photo labeled 'Archie"?
    Victor H

Jim,

I have a question about technique as shown in your photo "Charles and Archie Lyon in their extracting room in Burke, SD in the mid 1950's"

They appear right-handed, as they are holding the knife in their right hand, but the motion they are using seems like a "backhand" motion. I tend to use a "forehand" motion, which feels much more natural to me. I also see that both men have the same grip on the frame. I don't wrap my arm around it like that either. Are these observations true to how they really worked, or was this just a pose for the camera? If true, what are the advantages?

Great pics!!
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Jim,

I have a question about technique as shown in your photo "Charles and Archie Lyon in their extracting room in Burke, SD in the mid 1950's"

They appear right-handed, as they are holding the knife in their right hand, but the motion they are using seems like a "backhand" motion. I tend to use a "forehand" motion, which feels much more natural to me. I also see that both men have the same grip on the frame. I don't wrap my arm around it like that either. Are these observations true to how they really worked, or was this just a pose for the camera? If true, what are the advantages?

Great pics!!
    Dad's technique in the foreground is exactly the way he would uncap. It was uniquely his and pretty slick. He would cut the top third with an upward motion until he contacted the end bar and then change the angle of the blade (which allowed the cappings to fall into the spinner) and cut the bottom 2/3rds with the bottom edge of the knife. His top grip was also correct as it was important to keep your top hand out of harms way. Kind of hard to see Archie's technique, it wasn't a job he usually did, he had an incredible energy level and preferred hauling honey or almost any other job that didn't require standing in one place for hours.
    Sharp observation Victor. Yes that is citrus in the background. The picture was taken in the Rio Grande valley near Brownsville, Texas in the 50's.

Jim, in the old photo of the load of bees it looks like they are loaded 5 hives wide so I assume there are some type of "loading sticks" as we called them to hold the hive apart a couple of inches for air flow as they traveled back north out of the valley? Also I would guess the hives were screened in individually? I notice that hives stacked up and not all the same height, is that because of different lids and bottoms? If my math is right that is 290 single 10 frame hives on a 16' truck! So the motor in that truck was probably in the low 300 cubit inches and top speed was what 50 mph and took 3 to 3.5 days to make the trip back to South Dakota? Cool old photo......

Victor H

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I know a guy running 600 hives who hired a few students and gave them scratching forks... work well as long as he had the students to work
    Still using the scratchers to this day.. have a dakota guiness uncapper but it beats the comb and is way too **** loud. Don't see the problems with the scrathing forks to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Makin' Honey View Post
    Jim, in the old photo of the load of bees it looks like they are loaded 5 hives wide so I assume there are some type of "loading sticks" as we called them to hold the hive apart a couple of inches for air flow as they traveled back north out of the valley? Also I would guess the hives were screened in individually? I notice that hives stacked up and not all the same height, is that because of different lids and bottoms? If my math is right that is 290 single 10 frame hives on a 16' truck! So the motor in that truck was probably in the low 300 cubit inches and top speed was what 50 mph and took 3 to 3.5 days to make the trip back to South Dakota? Cool old photo......

Victor H
    Thanks for the nice post, I'm sure you are referring to this photo.
    http://s470.photobucket.com/user/jim..._0003.jpg.html
    It got my curiosity up. I remember my dad referring to the flathead v-8 in the truck. My guess is it was a 239 cid. I remember hearing once that they had to bolt on a new head alongside the road on a Texas trip. The valves were mounted in the block so the heads were relatively easy to replace. Apparently that design was prone to head issues in hot weather.
    Yes, your estimate of the trip length was probably about right though if the temps were high they would, on occasion, drive straight through but probably at least 48 hours of driving time. The long trips really soured my dad on migratory beekeeping. Yes, all the hives were individually screened and 1" spacer boards would maintain ventilation and to help tie the load together.
    Ha, ha. They talk about moving stresses nowadays......those bees had to have been under far more stress. Not sure how they could get efficiently watered.
    These pictures were taken near Brownsville, Texas and the third gentleman was Clay Eppley, a lifelong friend of Walter T Kelley. My dad and uncle often bought nucs from him and some of his branded equipment is still in use in our operation. Many of the boxes still quite usable.

We don't have many hives, even between us, but a friend and I work together to extract. He has an electric knife, I have a regular knife. The regular knife is faster, but gums up. An old timer at the NC Summer meeting told me to keep a pot of hot water and use several knives, soaking the ones not in use and changing knives when they gum up.

here is an older cowens for sale for $900.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...chain-fed-rack
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast