Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Angry landowners

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Next time would you do us a favor please and tell us the whole story w/ all you have to reveal, like actual quoteable text messages? It will save the rest of us taxing our imaginations filling in the blanks in your story. This was almost kinda like that guy w/ the bees that moved in to a short stack of shallows who let us all go around thinking it might have been bees robbing honey from them when all along he had a video of a swarm moving into the equipment, but he didn't say so until much later after he got pissed at all of the questions he got, especially mine.

On the off chance I will cause you to become angry to, is that the actual text or the way you remember it?

You want to hear landowner vs beekeeper interactions that didn't go well? Believe it or not I don't have any.
    Nope, I just made it all up because I have nothing better to do..... its copied word for word.

now your wasting my time. I guess we are even.

I grew up during the Nixon administration and Watergate. Trust but verify is always in the back of my mind. If I am wasting you time why aren't you out working your bees? I am not keeping you here, am I? Do I have that kind of power?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Its still raining and I have the flu. Looks like the rain might clear up on Tuesday.

Sorry to learn that and I hope it does for you. One of my swarms went off your way. Would you grab it for me?

You have guys that are on the payroll for the county and there job is to fix the roads. So stay on road and give them work and help the rancher save his hay :P
    Nate Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by JodieToadie View Post
    Supering 30 hives with a wheel barrow is not realistic nor practical.
    Practical, no..........realistic, yes. A friend of mine in another state just supered a bunch of hives using a cart that the farmer let him borrow, that was after he had carried a few in by hand almost a mile. The road was washed out and hives needed to be supered, you do what you have to do to get it done.
    Coyote Creek Bees

I know a guy who pulled honey on a 4 wheeler... lol

Josh worked his hives as they needed to be worked,
    he should of stuck to the road, and perhaps waited a day or so, but with three days of rain coming, his decision was sound.
    Easy access bee yards are hard to find... the land owner is a farmer, he understands what its all about!
    Josh, welcome to the school of hard knocks! lol
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I know a guy who pulled honey on a 4 wheeler.
    That's all I use to check my bees with...

ranger-stories-bkg-image.jpg

Our wheel barrow from the '50s holds 6 empty deeps, and earns the respect of the land owners when used in muddy conditions. It is your choice what to use, but we have never lost a yard in anger in 162 years(that we know of). It is the appreciative land owner that gives you the reference for your next yard.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by nater37 View Post
    You have guys that are on the payroll for the county and there job is to fix the roads. So stay on road and give them work and help the rancher save his hay :P
    Huh? What? From what he wrote, it isn't really a road, it's a cow path across a field. Right, Josh?

Huh? What? From what he wrote, it isn't really a road, it's a cow path across a field. Right, Josh?
    Right, a makeshift road maintained by the farmer.

I was moving bees last night, got caught in a down pour of rain out on a mile rd between two canola fields... I did not leave too bad of ruts... The reason I have 4x4 on my truck.
    We don't lead flawless lives here, when it rains, we drive through mud...

Ian too bad there wasn't a prairie trail there so that you could have just driven in the field.

Just yesterday I had to run down 40' of corn that the farmer planted on my lane. Landowner wants bees on the land and framer doesn't want to raise the planter to go across the lane.

5 years ago I had a landowner call me up in Sept. and ask me if I had drove through the framers soybeans. My reply was, only the ones he planted in the lane. Farmer tore up my lane and planted it in beans, after 17 years of having bees on the farm. The next spring the landowner called and wanted to know why I moved the bees out. Just let him know that I have to have a lane to get to the bees, and I knew the farmer wasn't giving back my lane.

I've had landowner put locks on gates that I have to go though to get to the bees and never gave me a key. I just use my bolt cuters on the chain and add my own lock in, so I don't have to chase the landowner down for a key. 55 farms and really the only time I talk to the landowners is when I make rent payments in the fall. Most the farms have had bees on them for over 50+ years, and really the only time we have any problems is when the landowners pass away.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Ian too bad there wasn't a prairie trail there so that you could have just driven in the field.
    We ranch quite a bit of land. We have lots of those turkey trails. Usually when it rains, and we need to travel, its on the grass and not the trail, so we don't get stuck and make a mess...
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I grew up during the Nixon administration and Watergate. Trust but verify is always in the back of my mind. If I am wasting you time why aren't you out working your bees? I am not keeping you here, am I? Do I have that kind of power?
    Hey Mark: I know the following might be considered off topic but had to speak up as I think you are driving down the wrong road with your quote.

My "babysitter" from growing up had the unfortunate event of having her wedding day on the evening tricky dick resigned. I to remember days on end with Sam Rayburn and the honorable Howard Baker ( who unfortunately just passed away this past week) spending their lives getting to the bottom of that fiasco.

Regarding "trust but verify." Not sure how or why you are pegging a famous quote from Reagan and trying to tie it to Mr. Nixon. Reagan used it towards Gorby in the SALT talks.... I think you are driving down the wrong road. Wrong President! Correct?

This is why it's not a good idea to drive in the farmers field instead of taking the muddy road. That's two hours I will never get back by having to pull the guy out. Since the guy is a friend of mine we had a good laugh.

Here is yet another reason to not stay in the middle of the road when it's been raining.

Haraga, is it not an Albertin's pass time TOO get stuck when it rains !! LOL
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I think you are right Ian. I know it's sure a lot of fun pulling them out. I had to have my neighbor pull my sprayer out last week. It's the ruts I made in the field that piss me off the most.
    I think the rain is over here. It's supposed to heat up. We won't have the humidity like you guys get. I saw on Telemundo all of the flooding in Manitoba. It showed cars mostly under water in some underpasses. When will people learn not to do that?
    Last edited by Haraga; 06-30-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast