Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: papers provide conclusive evidence that the pesticides are causing the mass death

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    I live in Kansas and count acres by the section (640) or township (23,040). Everything is on a grid out here, so it's pretty easy.

Not sure how many city blocks are in an acre.
    No section farms here (Long Island). biggest farms count total acreage in several locations sometimes separated by a mile or two field to field.

city blocks in an acre? don't know either

Default Re: papers provide conclusive evidence that the pesticides are causing the mass death

Clearly, you don't.

Get on a train already.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Nabber:

Try and understand that soybeans can be used for other things besides selling seeds/beans.

I'm using them to test for nectar/pollination.

I'm also looking into soybeans as a soil builder/cover crop.

If I had critters around besides bees, I'd think of them as a potential source of forage.

Free your mind. They're relatively cheap seeds.
    Hey WLC, if you're looking for new uses for soybeans, they shoot real well through soda straws and they're quite tasty deep fried & salted. Us "bumpkins" in Kansas are finding new uses for our crops all the time.

What we don't need is someone 1500 miles away, raising 6 square feet of beans in their back yard, telling us that we can do it all without pesticides.....raising pesticide free crops here will raise your food prices considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofu View Post
    Personally, I am concerned about other pollinators, and other species that may be affected by neonicotinoid pesticides.
    Then consider visiting ground zero for neonics - the Corn Belt of the upper Midwest where 60-70% of the entire landmass is covered with corn / soybeans / sugar beets / sunflowers / canola grown from Neonic coated seed. Walk into the farm road ditches the border these massive monocultures. Look at the flowering weeds in those ditches. What do you see? Pollinators. Pollinators of all types and lots of them; e.g. bumblebees, honeybees, syrphid flies, butterflies, soldier beetles, wasps, etc. In fact, if you triend to camp on in those farm road ditches you'd suffer because bugs are so abundant they'd be crawling all over you at night and buzzing in your ears. At dusk you'd also see bats in the air trying to catch the bugs.

You can also make soymilk, tofu, and sprouts.

I'm using it for possible Honeybee forage (no luck so far), and I'm starting on using soybeans to help save urban trees.

Nothing is growing in the plots.
    Last edited by Barry Digman; 06-28-2014 at 07:40 PM.

BD:

It's not 60-70% of the landmass. It's much less in fact.

It would be great if that much area was arable land in any state of the union. But, no.

Alas, that's why their value keeps going up.

We're losing arable land.

You have to wonder why farmers spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on pesticides if they don't work. They must love pissing money away...did it never occur to them that they are totally unnecessary?

WLC, you are obviously an expert on pesticides, we have a lot of environmental experts out here in California, especially in San Francisco. A lot of them drive Teslas and they are very smug about their contributions to nature and society.

You don't need many pesticides when your house where you do your organic free range gardening was built on top of leaked toxic waste, like all of the buildings in New York and the low laying areas of the SF Bay Area.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
    I'm going to assume you guys are the type that think global warming isn't happening because it snows in the winter where you live. Just because your bees are fine (and I'm glad they are!), doesn't mean everybody's bees are fine.
    Does that mean that you are one of the guys that believes global warming exists, even though most of the data to "prove" it is absolutely useless because of the urbanization around the weather stations that record temperatures? You ever stop to think that the grass that was around the "official" reporting station 100 years ago is cooler than the concrete or asphalt that's around it now?

The earth has gone through warming and cooling spells since it's creation. Nothing to see here, move along....
    Purveyor of almost organic honey and treatment free bees.

tanksbees:

Save the tude.

Pesticides do kill pollinators.

Friends of the Earth are working to get neonics out of horticultural gardens.

That's pretty much it.

Any real questions or discussion out there?

Or, do you want to vent some more?

The POTUS wants something done about this. I agree.

Health Canada declared them 'unsustainable'.

That's a fact.
    and?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by tanksbees View Post
    ...You don't need many pesticides when your house where you do your organic free range gardening was built on top of leaked toxic waste, like all of the buildings in New York and the low laying areas of the SF Bay Area.
    Funny you mentioned that. The garden plot is right across the street from a gas station. My next plot neighbor tried to plant something in a pot of store bought soil to avoid the toxins.

Me. I don't care. I'm not going to eat any thing I grow there anyway. It's a test plot only.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    and?
    Killing invertebrates is a loosing proposition.

All you'll do is turn soil into dirt that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Nothing to see here, move along....
    except for the rise in atmospheric co2 (a greenhouse gas) that appears to be mostly responsible for the steepening of the post glacial rise in temperature, as evidenced by polar ice melting and ocean levels rising. if co2 emissions continue on track with population increases it will be a different climate for our grandkids and their kids.

I was calling Clyde a 'bumpkin' because he's being a pain. As usual.
    As usual I point out the embellished comments and contrived statements that are paraded about.
    Simple solution, don't make them.

My point is this: we don't all plant stuff for money.

I don't depend on pesticides for my bees or my soybeans or my...

Get it?

I'm into sustainability.

I'm into sustainability.
    You don't eat any of the honey that your bees produce.
    You don't eat any of the soybeans that you are growing.
    You don't eat anything you grow.

And you crow about your "sustainability"?

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Fella:

I can't walk two blocks without walking by a dozen restaurants.

I don't eat city produce for a very good reason. I've seen the soil test results.

I don't want heavy metals in my diet.

It's a fact of life here.

However, I am within easy walking distance of farmers markets, Amish Farms, Whole Foods, Westerly (an organic market) etc. .

There is a difference between living in Midtown Manhattan and wherever it is you're from.

Nothing personal.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Are you guys insinuating that a group calling themselves 'Friends of the Earth Canada' isn't an objective organization?
    Everyone from Canada is objective!! LOL
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian:

Honestly. I objected to Morrissey's alarmist media blast that there was a major neonic contamination event after reading her published report.

Thank goodness that it was a false alarm.

Buddy, when the towers fell on 9/11, they left a toxic legacy that we don't talk about publicly.

We took a hit. I took a hit.

Life goes on.

Killing invertebrates is a loosing proposition.
    invertebrates die every minute, but their niche is outbreeding death, no?

All you'll do is turn soil into dirt that way.
    down 'round these parts soil is dirt, and i wish you could see for yourself what an ecosystem thrives on it. we have a great agricultural university in our state, auburn, you may have heard of it. each county has an university extension office that helps farmers and others with their stewardship of the soil and other resources. the farmers are among the best friends that soil could have and rightly so, their livelyhood depends on it.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast