Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: papers provide conclusive evidence that the pesticides are causing the mass death

Nabber;

Only 2,000 acres?

I wouldn't bother contracting for anything less than 10, 000.

I can count you know.

This is about sustainability after all.

Default Re: papers provide conclusive evidence that the pesticides are causing the mass death

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    You grow a dozen plants on the roof. If your livelyhood depended on 2,000 acres of soybean, things would be different.

Roger on that. Nobody will pay $20 per tomato. At least, not down here.

Are we talking $s? City honey sells for $30 a pound. I left over 200 pounds total on my two hives over winter.

Clearly, I don't need the money.

Now that the market is back on track, why bother?

Once again, the issue is sustainability, and GMO neonic seeds aren't sustainable.

Insecticides kill bees, it's nothing novel, to believe they have no ill effects is just as bad as thinking they're the sole issue. As you see what happens when they ban one class, back to something that is actually worse. Problem is the powers to be and the masses have become reactive instead of proactive and with a lot of baseless assumptions driving the policies.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Nabber;

Only 2,000 acres?

I wouldn't bother contracting for anything less than 10, 000.

I can count you know.

This is about sustainability after all.
    City folks come to the farms where my bees are located all the time. They look out over 30-40 acres and say "it goes on forever all this open land". They do not have visual perception regarding distance or area, that much is clear.
    having experienced this time after time I have to say that you would not be able to identify
    2000 acres if you were standing in the middle of it.
    10,000 acres and you'd be looking for the Pacific Ocean on the far end.

Once again, the issue is sustainability, and GMO neonic seeds aren't sustainable.
    gee, i thought this thread was about pesticides, take the GMO argument to tailgater.

not so fast there wlc, let's keep facts facts and opinions opinions. remember reality is usually somewhere in between.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Health Canada declared them 'unsustainable'.

That's a fact.

Health Canada declared them 'unsustainable'.

That's a fact.
    No its not.

Here is what Health Canada actually said:

However, in spring 2013 with more typical weather patterns, we continued to receive a significant number of pollinator mortality reports from both corn and soybean growing regions of Ontario and Quebec, as well as Manitoba. Consequently, we have concluded that current agricultural practices related to the use of neonicotinoid treated corn and soybean seed are not sustainable.For the 2014 planting season, we intend to implement additional protective measures for corn and soybean production, including:

• Requiring the use of safer dust-reducing seed flow lubricants;
    • Requiring adherence to safer seed planting practices;
    • Requiring new pesticide and seed package labels with enhanced warnings; and,
    • Requiring updated value information be provided to support the continued need for neonicotinoid treatment on up to 100% of the corn seed and 50% of the soybean seed.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pest/...013-01-eng.php

Nowhere is HealthCanada saying the use of neonic coated seeds were 'unsustainable'. They are saying that neonicotinoids planting practices need to change.

WLC has repeatedly misrepresented what Health Canada has said on this issue.

Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Unsustainable. Not sustainable.

Regardless. It already happened in Canada.

Thousands of colonies lost due to neonics.

Why do you bother?

Are we talking $s? City honey sells for $30 a pound. I left over 200 pounds total on my two hives over winter.

Clearly, I don't need the money.

Now that the market is back on track, why bother?

Who's honey sells for 30$ pound in the city, what name is on the jar? where is it sold?
    This is starting to sound like a bunch of nonsense.

You don't get around much clyde.

answer the questions please.

Take the LIRR to Penn Station. Then head over to Union Square.
    Last edited by Barry Digman; 06-28-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    You grow a dozen plants on the roof. If your livelyhood depended on 2,000 acres of soybean, things would be different.
    Oh, you beat me to it. Growing a couple of dozen plants that you can hand weed and pick bugs off of is a whole different ballgame than growing hundreds or thousands of acres that provide for your total existence.
    Last edited by Tim KS; 06-28-2014 at 03:28 PM.

No 30$ lb. honey on Wednesday as I was at the green market
    with my east end farmer friends.
    You must be mistaken.

TIM:

I've got them growing densely enough so that they form a canopy above any weeds.

It's a good looking stand of non GMO soybeans.

So what if I'm using them for something besides yields?

Soybeans are a versatile crop, as I'm now discovering for myself.

Clyde:

Here's the secret, city folks with allergies want local honey. Put a date and a location on a 1/2 pound jar, you can get $15 easily.

This is the local market.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    City folks come to the farms where my bees are located all the time. They look out over 30-40 acres and say "it goes on forever all this open land". They do not have visual perception regarding distance or area, that much is clear.
    having experienced this time after time I have to say that you would not be able to identify
    2000 acres if you were standing in the middle of it.
    10,000 acres and you'd be looking for the Pacific Ocean on the far end.
    I live in Kansas and count acres by the section (640) or township (23,040). Everything is on a grid out here, so it's pretty easy.

Not sure how many city blocks are in an acre.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Nabber:

How about I walk 10 minutes, sit with my personal banker, and buy some commodities?

It would be much easier, and quite frankly, I wouldn't notice the difference.

Try and understand that soybeans can be used for other things besides selling seeds/beans.

I'm using them to test for nectar/pollination.

I'm also looking into soybeans as a soil builder/cover crop.

If I had critters around besides bees, I'd think of them as a potential source of forage.

Free your mind. They're relatively cheap seeds.

Clyde:

Here's the secret, city folks with allergies want local honey. Put a date and a location on a 1/2 pound jar, you can get $15 easily.

This is the local market.
    Here's another secret, it's not happening. I know your local market.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast