Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee paralysis virus

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul McCarty 
#1 ·
Anyone familiar with the Bee paralysis virus? I think my hive has it, I replaced the queen a week ago and I don't know if they are going to make it. I know it can't be "cured". I don't think it's Nosema because I don't see feces anywhere. Does anyone have information on how to help my hive?

#2 ·
Bee to bee contact Spreads the disease from one bee to another, making it communicable and easily transmitted from one colony to another.
Studies have shown that CBPV remains viral when found in the feces of infected bees. CBPV was even passed on to healthy bees by being in the presence of infected bee feces alone. Symptoms of CBPV include severe trembling of the wings and body, crawling on the ground, hairlessness, darker or shinier appearance, death, etc. CBPV causes chronic paralysis disease which presents itself as two syndromes with two sets of symptoms.
The Type 1 syndrome is generally seen as the most common type. Bees infected with Type 1 are unable to fly and are seen crawling on the ground or on plants, sometimes in large groups of thousands of individuals. Other symptoms include bloated abdomen, caused by distension of the honey sac with fluid, and partially-open dislocated wings. Within a few days of infection, the bees die which can cause a huge detriment to the productivity of the hive. These symptoms are identical to symptoms attributed to the “Isle of Wight disease” seen in Britain in the early 1900s.

Type 2, At first, bees affected with the Type 2 syndrome can still fly, but they become hairless which causes them to appear darker, shinier and smaller than healthy bees. As a result, healthy bees attack the affected – nibbling them as if they were robber bees. Within a few days of infection, the bees become flightless, begin to tremble and ultimately die .

Given that other bee viruses also cause some of these same symptoms, diagnosis cannot rely on visual inspection of symptoms alone. However, it has also been discovered that seemingly healthy bees were infected and carried CBPV. The reason the virus can sometimes go unnoticed in a host is still unknown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.