Default Enterance reducer removal. When?

I installed by package bee's this past Sunday. How long should I leave the entrance reducer in? A lot of bee's in and out but I can't say if they are crowded or not.

Thanks

Greg

Default Re: Enterance reducer removal. When?

I removed mine on one of my hives today. New hive (new beekeeper) placed on May 1 (six weeks ago). The second hive still has the entrance reducer. Now I don't know anything about this, but after a month, I didn't feel like the colony was strong enough yet. Now, it's growing (at one of my hives) significantly, and I think they are OK with defending the entrance, not to mention fact it was getting a bit of a traffic jam with the reducer on it. I also noticed some bees using back to get in hive, between the bottom screen and hive body. Attempting to attach picture of traffic jam.

about 45 days

that's when you'll start to have huge population increases

Here is a picture of one of the hives. I don't want to remove it to soon, but then again I don't want to impede production either.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/...ps24152192.jpg

Thanks
    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a pretty small reducer.. does yours have a slightly wider option? or just cut yourself a piece of wood that blocks half of the entrance as a middle step.

I pulled mine fully today but have 8 frame medium so the space is smaller anyway with no other hives near it.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeDatc View Post
    That is a pretty small reducer.. does yours have a slightly wider option? or just cut yourself a piece of wood that blocks half of the entrance as a middle step.

I pulled mine fully today but have 8 frame medium so the space is smaller anyway with no other hives near it.
    Its about a 3" opening. Also looking at it from the side so it looks even smaller.

Greg

ah.. then that won't be bad for a little while. let them get established for a bit.