Thread: Queenless???

Default Queenless???

So I just installed my first ever Nuc's this morning...I picked them up last night from a local breeder, he packaged the Nuc's yesterday afternoon... one I saw the queen and the other i could not find her.... the bees did not seem to have any different temperament than the other hive that definitely has a queen... they did seem a bit louder.... should i be concerned? the queen was marked so i think i would of seen her.... please advise

Default Re: Queenless???

Wait four days and look for eggs...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Richh,

Congratulations on your first Nucs. You are in for a great journey. Queens can be hard to spot even when they are marked. There is a lot happening in a hive and they can be easy to miss and some are better at hiding than others. I have stopped looking for my queens and now I concentrate on looking for signs of the queen (eggs, larvae, brood). I still love it when I see them, but it is not my main focus.

So with that I would say that personally, I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. If she is a mated queen you should see signs of her presence in future inspections. If she is not yet mated, it will take 2-3 weeks before you start seeing eggs etc.

Have fun.
    Don't Warre, Bee Happy.

thanks for the advise.... she is mated and has a beautiful brood pattern...