Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Diameter of tube from tree to deep

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Harley Craig 
#1 ·
I saw a swarm take up home in a hollow at the base of a large tree. There are two entrances that I have found. I closed off one completely and closed off the other with about a 1.5 inch entrance. Bees are using that exclusively and seem to be thriving.

I am interested in connecting a 10 frame deep to the hole I left them. Not wanting to remove them but would like to have them use the deep as well as the tree. That way I can use brood/eggs if I can access them. I am interested to see if they can survive year to year in the tree.

I have opaque 1 inch tube and black aquarium tubing that is closer to 2 inch diameter. Which would be better to go between and tree? I suppose I should make the connection as short as possible. Once set up and bees Using the hive entrance would putting in a frame with brood encourage them to also use the deep.

Thanks.

#2 ·
2 in will be plenty big enough and yes you want it close as possible You also will want a dark tube or the queen most likely will never go in, it also helps if the entrance to the tree is a bottom entrance near the brood nest as she won't typically cross honey to move into a different chamber. If you can get all those stars to line up and you put brood in thereyou very well might get her to use it, its been my experience if the entrance is too far away from the brood nest they will just fill the box with stores

#3 ·
Thanks..the 2 inch tube it is. I can't see the comb but the entrance goes to the bottom of the tree. The hole I made in the blocked off bit is 6-8" above the ground. I believe it is below where the comb is. I should be able to make the connection about 8" ...no closer as the entrance is between two root bulges at the base of the tree.

#6 ·
No...but if I can figure how to post them I will take some:) I have an endoscope but don"t want to drill holes in the tree. It is a rigid type so can't flex it up the hole:(

#5 ·
"Which would be better to go between and tree?"
I would use the 2". We have consistently gotten the queen out with 1 3/4" tube.
"I suppose I should make the connection as short as possible."
Yes, 8" should be plenty short to work well.
"Once set up and bees Using the hive entrance would putting in a frame with brood encourage them to also use the deep."
Yes.

#8 ·
Here are some photos:

The big poplar tree...it is sooo tall!

Tree Sky Woody plant Atmospheric phenomenon Plant

These are the blocked off entrances...one with a white entrance tube that will be replaced by the joining tube.

Waste Litter

Hope it works.

#9 ·
I'm assuming its a rather odd shaped hole behind that plastic ? They may not bring there comb down that far because they won't want to attach to flimsy plastic I know you don't want to but I would consider drilling a entrance above the large hole closer to where the brood nest is going to be. Can you suit up good and reach up in there far enough to see how low the comb is or use a small mirror and flashlight ?

#10 ·
Both natural entrances are. "v" shaped entrances with the wider portion on the ground. I tried shoving my hand up the hole of the closed entrance...it was cavernous and the bees had not be there but a day so felt/saw no comb. The entrance of the one I left a hole in has a baffle of wood behind the opening so can't see or feel anything. I guess I could put a seethes cope to the trunk to try and hear the level the bees are at. I expect the hollow area is just in the lower part where the root ridges go up and come together.

There is #8 wire tightly stapled to the holes under the plastic. The plastic is only there to block out light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.