Default Hot out today...

According to my thermometer, it's hit 100. I'm wondering if I should open up the entrance reducer. I don't want the bees to get too hot. What do you think?

I was there Sunday to refill the feed buckets. I didn't go into the hive because I had looked in on Wednesday. I didn't want to bother them again so soon. I'm planning to look in again on Sunday.

Before leaving, I stayed around and watched. Both hives had bees shooting in and out like missiles. While there is nothing immediately blooming in the bee yard, they must be on to something.

Default Re: Hot out today...

What size are your hives? Do you use Screened Bottom Boards opened? Couple thoughts from my experience:

1. Dont give bees more area to defend than they can handle. Entrance reducers help minimize the area to defend substantially. This is especially true during a dearth when weaker hives are more prone to robbing.
    2. If the hive is hot, bees will form at the opening and fan the hive to increase air flow. They also tend to 'beard' on the outside to keep out of the hive to decrease temperature or to cool off themselves. These are signs of a hive controlling temperature.
    3. If you want to help ventilate, I would recommend propping the inner cover up with paint stirrer sticks or something to that effect. Basically set the sticks on the front and back of the top hive body and set the inner cover down on it and place the telescoping cover on top of that like normal. Heat rises, so I find this helps with moisture and heat. The sticks keep the opening small enough for venting, but not for things (other bees) to come in.

[LIST=1][*]Dont give bees more area to defend than they can handle. Entrance reducers help minimize the area to defend substantially. This is especially true during a dearth when weaker hives are more prone to robbing.

What it might look like ........
    http://youtu.be/aJ0GzSC-haM
    "Anytime you see someone more successful than you are, they are doing something you aren't."

Yep it's getting "hot" it's only feels like 105 or so here today, and it's only the middle of June.