Thread: Moving hives,

Default Moving hives,

I started two packages, on April 7 , added three nucs two weeks ago. They are all in my fenced yard I now have to move them to their new fenced bee yard about 100 ft across the driveway. I am reading about moving and getting more unsure of the plan. What suggestions are available for a successful move.
    My plan is/was, to move them in the evening with the entrance closed simply using a hand truck, arranging them in their new digs, putting some branches in front of each entrance to alert the bees to the change. Am I missing something/
    thanks

Default Re: Moving hives,

"Am I missing something/"
    No. Start at late dusk; be gentle. I would leave the weakest hive in the old location for two or three days, then move it last.
    Aren't they supposed to be the ones feeding me.

Don't go too light on the branches .....don't choke them out either but you want to definitely make them aware something has changed

Some grass in the entrance that they have to move is quite good to prompt reorientation too. Again, go easy, don't stuff it in. Loosely placed in the entrance works well.

When I tried using branches I didn't have much success. So I just used a piece of plywood and forced them to go to the end of the landing board. That was successful.

I did this exact thing a few weeks ago. I got my first colony this year. We just moved into this house and not really familiar with the area. I selected the location for my hive before the leaves came back on the trees. After the colony was in place, the leaves came out and the spot was completely shady.

I found a new spot a 100 feet away that I wanted to move them to. I closed up the hive after dark, then just at day break my wife and I moved the hive. I placed a length of bubble wrap over the entrance, hanging from the top cover. When I removed the entrance block, it was a sight to behold. Hundred of bees came oozing from the hive. They found their way around the bubble wrap and flew around and around the hive. I guess they were reorienting.

Later that day I went over to the old hive location, and there were hundreds of angry bees that could not find their home. I was worried that I made a huge mistake. I kept checking throughout the day, adn the numbers of lost bees appeared to be dwindling.

I placed a sheet out at the old hive location for a place for any straggling lost bees to land for the night. When I went out that evening, there was not a bee to be found.

They all seem happy in their new location now, a few weeks later.

A bunch of potted plants tall enough to obstruct the entrance help, too. You may also want to watch the weather forecast and move them the night before a bunch of rainy weather is coming in. 3 days of rain is ideal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    3 days of rain is ideal!!!
    Where can I get that?
    9 months, 12 colonies, TF (so far)

C'mon down! LOL I know you guys are having it rough out there...I hope it breaks for you soon.