Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Has anyone noticed their bee stings hurting more around this time of the year?

Maybe those who arent getting lit up .. arent trying hard enough ... Last one to the face ..blew up and looked like shrek.
    "Anytime you see someone more successful than you are, they are doing something you aren't."

Default Re: Has anyone noticed their bee stings hurting more around this time of the year?

Why do you even risk one sting? Is it a badge of courage?

Put on a jacket and veil, nitrile gloves, tuck your jeans in your boots and count the months you can go till you have a sting. It is not really that hard to grab protective gear and avoid them. Plan your exit and don't lead them back to your changing area, truck, or house and avoid the ones that follow you after you leave the hives.

They all hurt, they cause a local reaction, they swell, then they itch. I spray for ticks before I go into the woods. I don't let water sit and stagnate to draw mosquitoes and burn citronella when I am outside. I don't poke a wasp nest or a yellow jacket hole to stir them up.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post

Put on a jacket and veil, nitrile gloves, tuck your jeans in your boots and count the months you can go till you have a sting. It is not really that hard to grab protective gear and avoid them. Plan your exit and don't lead them back to your changing area, truck, or house and avoid the ones that follow you after you leave the hives.

They all hurt, they cause a local reaction, they swell, then they itch. I spray for ticks before I go into the woods. I don't let water sit and stagnate to draw mosquitoes and burn citronella when I am outside. I don't poke a wasp nest or a yellow jacket hole to stir them up.
    You don't know how to have fun if u don't poke a wasp nest . Heck been doing that since a little kid and still do . Lol

And as far as bee stings I have over a 100 hours under the tattoo gun so bee stings never feel them . They feel the same as a tattoo to me don't hurt at all .
    Nothing ventured nothing gained . Sometimes the only way to learn is do .
    20 Hives and 2 Experiments = 22

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post

There is actually good scientific reason why beekeepers should get stung
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0QB...e_gdata_player

New beek here - been stung three times so far and every reaction has been radically different, from mild to pretty dramatic (though way short of life-threatening). Following this thread as I am interested in the idea the pollen source might have an effect. I am wildly allergic to some grass/hay pollen but not consistently so. I hope to figure it out because I'm a guitar picker with early onset of osteoarthritis who would really appreciate the apitherapy benefits of occasionally getting stung during inspections. I just can't play guitar when my extremities are sore and swollen like water balloons!

I find I have a worse reaction to stings from over-wintered bees so far.
    Maybe cos they're older their venom has "matured" but I think it is probably a matter of their venom is affected by what they are eating. If they're eating something you have a slight allergy to, things are worse.

That makes sense about the guard bees. They are proffessionals! LOL. Fat Bee Man says to chew up some English Plantain and put the juice on the spot where you were stung. He says to eat the seed head to help with immunity. We're lucky to have the internet and learn from the masters.
    Cumberland Plateau, 2300 Feet, East Central Tennessee

Chew some chewing tobacco and put a dawb on the place you were stung or put a penny on the sting area. Just two of the "Folk Remedies" for the relief of bee stings. Mostly though, just scrape it off and keep on doing what you were doing and you will forget you got stung. If you know how many times you have been stung you aren't getting stung very often.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by AugustC View Post
    I find I have a worse reaction to stings from over-wintered bees so far.
    Maybe cos they're older their venom has "matured" but I think it is probably a matter of their venom is affected by what they are eating. If they're eating something you have a slight allergy to, things are worse.
    Or maybe it's the overwintered human? Since it has been a while since you have been stung, come Spring time, it comes as a bit of a shock and therefore seems more intense or painful.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Or maybe it's the overwintered human? Since it has been a while since you have been stung, come Spring time, it comes as a bit of a shock and therefore seems more intense or painful.
    Seems like I swell more with the first few stings of the spring. By now I hardly feel them or swell.