Default When Is It Time To...

After bears wiped out my hives at my house in NH, I took a year off and now I'm in Maine and restarting with 1 hive. So, my question is....

I know when you get a package of bees for a new hive, you don't add a 2nd deep until the 1st deep's frames are mostly "drawn out."

But, I got a nuc with 5 full frames that I inserted in an vacant hive that is completely drawn out. I took out 5 drawn out frames and inserted the 5 frames from the nuc. So, all 10 frames were drawn out when I inserted the nuc into the original dead hive about a week ago.

So, WHEN DO I ADD A 2nd DEEP (with 75% drawn frames in that deep too)?

Thanks!

Bob
    ABC Honey Farm
    Jay, Maine

Default Re: When Is It Time To...

I wait a tad longer than most - I want to see the bees using 80-90% of the frames before adding another box.

Sorry to hear of your New Hampshire bear. Unfortunately we have them around here too!

Default Re: When Is It Time To...

Presumably the drawn out frames (those 'not from the nuc) were pretty much empty when you installed the nuc. So you could monitor those frames, and when 75%-80% of the 10 frames are being 'used' (pollen/honey/brood), its time to add another box.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft