Default Cold and rainy weather/ inspection

New nuc needs inspected , it's been eight days since new queen introduced -4 or five since released. It's been cold and rainy for the last few days with highs in the fiftys . Today is warmer highs in the mid sixties expected -65. Montana's a bit colder than most. The forcast is for rain and cold, even snow in the mountains! Till next week Thursday. Should I inspect? Thanks

Default Re: Cold and rainy weather/ inspection

i don't open them up for 10 days after a queen is introduced. that might be overkill but i get good acceptance. only exception is if i'm worried the candy was hard and they wouldn't be able to release her. something else to worry about.

New Nuc and new queen? Nucs usually come with a laying, introduced queen. Is it a package you installed?

Regardless, I do my best not to go into hives when the weather is dicey. Put yourselves in their shoes...if you were all snug as a bug in your new home, and somebody took the roof off and the temp inside suddenly drops 45*, I bet you wouldn't be too happy.... Don't love 'em to death. I'd let them ride until the weather breaks. You might want to spend the time watching the entrance. Are they flying? Do you see pollen going in? How are the numbers looking outside...Etc...etc...

Thanks for the advice! And like all newbies I wish I would have taken it! Yeah the nuc was queen less when I picked it up. The apiary introduced a caged queen and that's what was giving me the newbee angst! I checked it out and they are bringing in pollen and I was surprised by the numbers but I just can't see what you guys see. I didn't see queen and I couldn't see eggs but I just couldn't see anything but bees and Iam looking for the tree and seeing the forest. I hope I didn't stress them out to bad. I did see capped brood and a lot off bees with their heads down in the holes and pollen coming in . I hope these are good signs. The bees didn't seem agitated or overly buzzy. I'll wait till the weather clears and check it out. Thanks