Default High supersedure rate on Georgia queens this spring?

The past two weeks we have been getting a lot of queen orders from people who installed Georgia packages this spring that have now gone queen-less after being queen-right. Yesterday one of our usual mid summer bulk queen buyers ( a re-seller) who normally purchases in July called and ordered a hundred queens when its informally 50 a month later in the year. I asked her if she thought something was up as they also resell Georgia packages in the lower Midwest each spring. She mentioned that a lot of people were having issues. Whats up? Is it an accurate assessment that a higher than normal % of Georgian queens are taking a dump this year? I'm sure the cold spring was part of the cause if its true!!!

????????????

Default Re: High supersedure rate on Georgia queens this spring?

I purposely held off my splits in Ga till 3rd week of March. Everything looked good at that time, but they were still having record amounts of rain and I still had to fix a lot of my stuff in April and still fixing stuff now that checked good in late April that have since crapped out. Now I can't speak for all beekeepers. I'm just a little guy down there.

Any particular supplier mentioned? There are some well run queen producing outfits in GA...and so I hate to see everyone painted with the same brush if it is one or two of those more loosely run operations.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    The past two weeks we have been getting a lot of queen orders from people who installed Georgia packages this spring that have now gone queen-less after being queen-right.
    Have they tested the packages for Nosema?
    NZ package suppliers had a hard lesson on poor packages as a result of inadequate Nosema control a number of years ago.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

From FL perspective, rough queen year for us. Strange enough to not be a definable pattern to put finger. Bosses been scratching head since spring. Not treatments, swarming, low acceptance, suddenly drone layers, etc. Burned through hundred or 2 mated queens per week at times.. Just checked hives one or two weeks later, poof.

Brighter side, last few weeks seems to stabilize a bit more. Couldnt begin to tell you why or what the difference. We.are watching/looking tho.

On the hobbyist side, insane swarm early early this year with unusual queen laying habits was the common theme at Dadant visits and club meetings.

From both levels common theme, if the girls are strong, they are bustin butt. After that, check everything. Check mites even more religously than ever before, then triple check again.

Nutty year.

This years queens was better then last years queens sofar that we bought out of GA. Out of 1500+ queens we had less then 50 problem queens. But it is still early and the crop has been produced yet. Had hear about one operation out of GA that 90% of there early queens were junk. Talked to two of there dealers and they are no longer dealing that companies bees because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Any particular supplier mentioned?

NO! They did not say and I did not ask.

Similar problems occurred in our area a few years back and I cant recall anything being nailed down as a suspect then. This included our queens. 10-15% failed 4-6 weeks after acceptance two years in a row a half a dozen years back +-. Not currently an issue this year.

Considering the weather situation in Georgia this spring I think that anyone who tried to raise queens there this spring with any graft date before the first of March was way to early at the table with their bet.. Not sure how drone count could have been adequate to do a good mating job on anything before mid march. Any queens picked down there before late March were pre set for flying down a road to failure. ?????

With package orders for the early dates booked and promised its hard to be patient and tell people they are screwed regarding their delivery date. Getting off schedule is a real problem. Sure they don't want to row that boat so they jumped early than was bee prudent.

Am I on the right track?

Out of 50 Georgia queens I got this spring in packages, no supercedure that I am aware of, but I did get one that ran out of gas and became a drone layer, and two layed shotgun brood patterns. I can live with that all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Not sure how drone count could have been adequate to do a good mating job on anything before mid march.
    I dont think drone count was an issue. I had many of my colonies on the verge of swarming and a few swarmed by then. I think the issue was mating weather early on. Lots and lots of rain there.

I can say that last spring and this in south ga the weather was not good for Nuc making or raising queens. I don't think it is the producers fault for the most part because these folks know what they are doing. Most of them want people to get good bees. Very crazy weather. I raised cells and also bought queens from ga and calf. And had problems with all his year. I think it is just the year