Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two way pallets

Default Re: Two way pallets

To answer some of the questions above.

Like most questions in beekeeping there is no perfect answer. You look at what people around you are doing and go with the choice which hopefully has the most positives for you.

The trucks I am using are 1 tons now but have used 3/4 tons in the past and know a number a guys in my area that use 3/4 tons successfully.

I usually move two pallets at once so 4 ways with a super or double brood chamber are not a problem. I used to use the skid steer for taking off honey and lifted 12 full supers no problem. I now have a removable tommy lift gate mounted to the back of the trailer for pulling honey. I am ok with hired university students using a lift gate - skid steer not so much.

I have considered parking the skid steer behind the cab on a truck and chassis set up and putting 80 hives on the trailer. Probably be worth my while as I move 900 hives 5 times a year.

I chose the 2 way pallets for 2 may reasons. In the honey production yards I put a foot+ gap between the hives that would normally arrange in a 4 way setup. Makes pulling honey a lot easier. I also like having the hives facing sideways when loading. Fewer bees flying at me.

This setup would not be good for long distance hauling. Most of my moves are about half to 3/4 of an hour.

Thanks Allen, it looks like a really good set up. The posts were tremendously helpful and I am shocked at how light a New Holland L125 is. Now I just have to find one.
    Thank you.

The L125 are getting harder to find. New Holland quit making them in 2009 I think. The Bobcat S70 is similar.

I had my eye on a Bobcat S150 for very little more than L125 (both new) but just couldn't justify the weight.

T.Smith,
    I am looking at doing the same thing. Two way pallets so that I can move two hives at a time with just myself and a dolly or hand truck. I currently have 100 hives and do have to move them twice a year. Moving them one at a time stinks and wears me out. I do not want to go into debt to buy a lift or loader as I am still trying to figure out if beekeeping is going to be as profitable as I hope. What I am trying to do is build and expand from the previous years allow me. Good luck and thank y'all for the feed back

Jason
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12