Default Watched them fly off:{

Well, this morning as I was walking to go and check on the hives, I heard this big roar and discovered Shazam, they were swarming to a location about 50 yards away into a tree approx 40" off the ground:{

No way I can climb or get them....

I now have a couple of new beekeeper questions....

What do I do about the remaining bee's in the hive that they swarmed from that stayed?

Will they re-queen themselves?

I also have put a large Top Bar Swarm Trap that is baited with LGO and old comb to try and lure them out of the tree, what do you think the chances are of catching them?

Thanks in advance for your help:}

Default Re: Watched them fly off:{

From "How-To...' - "Bring down high swarms" (Taylor)

Assuming you meant 40', not 40" -

"(Raise a frame of unsealed brood)"...

Fling a weighted string over the branch (over the cluster spot). ('Got a sling shot? - a lug nut makes a nice weight)
    Attach a heavier cord and pull back over.
    Tie on an old hand bag or straw basket.
    Place unsealed brood frame inside & pull up to the swarm cluster.
    Wait an hour or two for the swarm to engulf the frame/bag.
    Lower the swarm.

It's worth a try, if you can't figure something else out. Good luck!
    Last edited by Colobee; 06-14-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    After 35 years, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

The best thing you can do is stay out of the hive for at least three weeks to allow the new queen to finish pupating, emerge, harden, go out and mate; and start laying any disruption of the hive during that time may cause the failure of the hive to requeen.

Swarm traps need to be in place about a month before the swarm so the new home can be found and evaluated and debated by the hives scouts. Chances of luring that swarm down are slim to none.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F3...pi=SL500_SS115

Fill it with sugar water

I have no idea if it will work but I'd love to see the video

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    The best thing you can do is stay out of the hive for at least three weeks to allow the new queen to finish pupating, emerge, harden, go out and mate; and start laying any disruption of the hive during that time may cause the failure of the hive to requeen.

Swarm traps need to be in place about a month before the swarm so the new home can be found and evaluated and debated by the hives scouts. Chances of luring that swarm down are slim to none.

10-4 will do....Odd though after an afternoon siesta (two hour nap) I went back out to where they had gathered and Shazam they were gone

Walked back to the hive where I now THINK they swarmed from and it seems all good in the neighborhood..

Could they have flown back into the hive while I was at my best on the couch?

Interesting, very Interesting????

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I understand the advice...Best conservative approach but not necessary. I screw around with queenless hives, swarms and queen cells all the time. Look for virgins, do all the stuff your not suppose to do. The hive should have plenty cells in there so if you smash a couple it shouldn't be a problem. You should learn, understand how the hive behaves what they are doing to the combs. Then again I've never bought bees so perhaps thats why im so "reckless".

Update...walked back over to where the swarm of whoever's bees it is/was and see now that the sun is shining trough the trees that there is about a softball size of bee's left on the branch....wats up with that?

Anyway here's a shot of the hive I now (think) that swarmed and all seems well?????

Could they have just been acting to hearing the roar of a swarm and have not swarmed?

I know I ask a lot of questions however; when your like me and don't know squat it sure is nice to get some helpful advice:}

So again thanks in advance for your patience

[IMG] photo sharing websites[/IMG]