Thread: Rule #2

Default Rule #2

Well, I imposed rule number 2 today for the backyard beekeeping.

2.) Don't check the hives and then proceed to mow the grass.

Bam, right in the top of the head.

Good thing is I only saw one hive beetle. The oil trays are keeping them down really well.

Default Re: Rule #2

Why do they always aim there!? It smarts and makes you look as if your a bit daft scratchn your head perplexed by simple tasks!! Ha! Lesson learned- wear a cap? Lol! Sorry my wife still thinks it's soo funny when I got it in the bald spot

Sorry about your learning rule #2 the hard way.

I've a question about your oil trays. Who did you purchase your oil from? How much do you use in each tray?

Thanks.

That's where they hit me. In the bald spot. Well, I'm 90% bald anyway so it wasn't that hard for them to hit the target. .

I used regular veg oil. Had about 40 a couple of days after install. I saw one this morning in the hive. Rarely seeing them right now. Only in the oil. I bought some 2/$1.00 trays at dollartree and put about a 1/4-1/2" of oil in them. Seems to work fine. I have beetle blaster traps in the top and have only caught one in 4 traps.

please tell more about your bottom, screen, and trays. That sounds very inexpensive compared to other bottom oil trays!

I am using a screened bottom board with a hive stand. On the back of the hive stand I cut the board in half so I could slide a tray inside the hive stand and below the screen board. Then I went to Dollartree and bought a cooking pan/tray for 50 cents (2/$1.00 package) and used them with regular vegetable oil. So far it works fine. The trays are not EXACTLY the size of the screen board, but they are close enough. These are the aluminum type of trays that are kind of flimsy, but my hives sit on a solid table. I imagine you could put plywood on the bottom of the hive stand to have something to put the tray on. At least, that is what we are doing to my cousin's hives to get some trays under his. He has them on two boards -front and back - with an open bottom like most people do.

If the bees knock the beetle off and it misses the pan, they get another shot at it. Must be working because I only saw one beetle in two hives on Saturday. The rest are in the oil pan.

I am just starting out as a beekeeper, so if any of the more knowledgeable guys here care to comment that would be fine. I have not seen any downsides to doing it this way - so far. I don't like to spend money if I can do something comparable cheaper. This seems like a good alternative to buying a tray for $15.00 each. I probably should use a different kind of oil, maybe?