Default Should I be worried about these?

beesjune8111.jpgbeesjune8114.jpg
    This is from a 2 pound package started April 7th, they are in 10-frame deeps, second box added May 7th, approximately 70% filled. Doing an inspection last Sunday, found these. They appear to be empty. They were on the bottom of one of the middle frames. I assume they are queen cells, as I have lots of typical drone cells to compare to. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Should I be worried about these?

The very bottom cell looks like it may be a hatched queen cell with at least one of the upper a torn down cell. If hatched the edges are thin and look like they were chewed open, because they were. There would be a cocoon inside.
    Should you worry; no, it has happened or will anyway. Just check in 10 days or so for eggs.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Default Re: Should I be worried about these?

when the sides are open, the queen pupa that was insode was killed usually by the hive queen.
    when ther eis a nice clean circle goneatt he very tip of a cell, a queen has emerged.

Empty cells with chewed or sides or tips are nothing to worry about.
    Queen cups (unfinished, emapty cells with no egg or larva) are nothing to worry about -- many strains will keeps a few all season long, and never raise a queen in it.

If you see cups with an egg or larva, they've started raising a queen.
    Some say if its at the bottom its a swarm cell, and if its on the face of comb it's a supercedure cell, but that is unreliable.

I do not heed the warning of some that queen cells need to be destroyed to prevcent swarming.
    If the bees are raising a supercedure queen, there's a reason.
    If you tear out the cells, when the old queen they were supreceding fails, you very amy well find the hive hopelessly queenless.

The way to prevent swarems is t manage your hive in such a way as to avoid the conditions that prompt swarming.