Default Inspection Questions/Input

It's been 2 weeks since my last inspection. During my last inspection I noticed a full frame of honey in the bottom brood box. Bottom box is pretty much built out.

1. Should I move it up to the upper box and move a frame of brood down or just leave it alone?

I doubt they are ready for a 3rd box since 3 of the 8 frames in the upper box were filling out, but who knows with 2 weeks passing and the the high level of activity

2. If I have to add a box, it will be a medium. So, Queen separator or no Queen separator? If no Queen separator, will they continue to move up with brood or will they just do honey only? Does it really matter?

Bottom board. It's been really hot here during the middle of the day. Nights still getting to low 70's, but humidity is up. Like 80% as I type this

3. Bottom board or no bottom board?

Would appreciate input from those that have more experience than me as this is my first year.
    Mike Harrell

Default Re: Inspection Questions/Input

>1. Should I move it up to the upper box and move a frame of brood down or just leave it alone?

Leave it alone.

> I doubt they are ready for a 3rd box since 3 of the 8 frames in the upper box were filling out, but who knows with 2 weeks passing and the the high level of activity

Things happen fast in a flow. The number of bees can double in a week or so...

> 2. If I have to add a box, it will be a medium. So, Queen separator or no Queen separator?

Excluder. I would not use an excluder ESPECIALLY when you don't have drawn comb.

> If no Queen separator, will they continue to move up with brood or will they just do honey only?

Does it really matter?

>Does it really matter?

No.

> Bottom board. It's been really hot here during the middle of the day. Nights still getting to low 70's, but humidity is up. Like 80% as I type this
    3. Bottom board or no bottom board?

I'm not clear on the question. I would always have a bottom board. If you mean closed off Screened Bottom Board I usually leave them closed all the time. Too much ventilation will overheat them just as much as too little. When it's hot out the bees have to COOL the hive...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you. Clarification on the bottom board. Yes it is a screened bottom with an insert that slides beneath the screen.
    Mike Harrell

I'm in Missouri quite a ways north of you and I never use the insert for my screen bottom boards. I left them off all winter long and all three of my colonies overwintered well. The only thing I've found the inserts useful for is to do a mite count.

GH