Default European Hornets

Ever since I got my bees i have noticed European hornets around. I found instructions to build a trap on beesource, so far I haven't caught any. I realize that there is only so much I can do about them since i don't know where the nest is. Do I need to worry about them getting in the hive itself? If so how small of a screen do i need to keep them out?

Thanks,
    Peter

Default Re: European Hornets

I suspect you don't need to do anything...you may just be more observant of hymenoptera than you were before. I would not worry about them getting into the hive. I would be interested if some countervailing opinion is out there...

I would occasionally see hornets but very rarely before. I notice them daily hanging around the hives.

Thanks for your input!

Slightly different but a neighbor lost two hives last fall due to western yellow jacket robbing. Yellow jackets fly at lower temps when the bees were inactive. he didn't have a reducer on. I have a yellow jacket trap near my hives and caught dozens last year. I've been using the pheromone traps from Home Depot. If you put the traps out in the spring you can trap all the queens and lessen the population. they are all queens in the early spring, the first hatch is smaller sized workers,cause one queen is foraging for the whole hive/nest. The next batch of workers is larger because of the larger numbers in the work force.
    Fabian

I've wondered about yellowjackets, too. I have my hive in the middle of a pasture of about 3 acres. This past weekend I found (the hard way, of course!) a nest while mowing at one end of the pasture, & my closest neighbor at the other end has some that got into a crack in the mortar near the door of their house & started a nest. Needless to say, they've been dealt with, but will yellowjackets prey upon my bees? Some years they're worse than others around here. The past couple years haven't been bad, but maybe this year could be a high number one.