Re: My recent experience with new-vs"seasoned" JZBZ cups
Well I was wrong.....again. I checked the starter (which I planned on using as a finisher as well) and the two bars that I left in it were both ignored other than a single cell that had appreciable RJ and a large larvae.
I had left three frames of brood in this triple deck starter and I had checked it for swarm cell over a period of three days during a prior, and rather successful, graft. I voluntarily ditched these thinking, in error once again, that they were too small. In dismantling this triple deck starter today I saw there were two frames with several capped queen cells. I took these frames and made nucs. I don't know if these capped queen cells were the reason the bees didn't start this most recent attempt but I was not going to leave them with the new starter I put together. I took this triple deck 5 frame per deck starter and, again, moved it about 20 feet away. I also took all the occupants and made this new starter a single 5 frame nuc that is jammed full of bees from the triple. I put the nucs with the queen cells in the spot that the triple was so the field bees will have their pick as to where to go. In other words I am trying yet again and starting from ground zero. I'm hoping this starter has the environment to cause them to start cells big time. I put 1/2 gallon of syrup on them and a frame with two bars of grafted cups. I know I cannot blame a lack of bees for a failure this time but I suppose I could be a little concerned about the age of these bees. I am hoping that moving the starter will force the field bees back to the original spot. This is a given I suppose but I'm hoping that the house bees that remain are inclined to start these grafts. I'll see tomorrow and if they don't start them I'll do it all again with a new batch of nurse bee.
"Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.