Thread: Poppy Frenzy

Default Poppy Frenzy

Bees n poppies 006.jpgBees n poppies 003.jpg

They seem to go after the poppies so aggressively, that the flowers seldom last more than one morning. I always throw a couple of handfuls of seeds in the garden first thing in the spring, much to the dismay of my wife,....and then a couple more handfuls after she goes back in the house.

Default Re: Poppy Frenzy

that's beautiful. I've planted poppies this year just for the bees, but haven't been home to watch them go after the pollen.

Very impressed. Do you know what type of poppies you have? I tried raising poppies one year and the bees barely touched them. I would like to raise what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by spieker View Post
    Very impressed. Do you know what type of poppies you have? I tried raising poppies one year and the bees barely touched them. I would like to raise what you have.
    Papaver Somniferum or more commonly known as the Opium Poppy, these are the Red Shaggy variety. I also have orange Oriental Poppies, however they seem to give them less attention. It may be due to the fact that the Oriental poppies bloom a month earlier than the red shaggies

The Red Shaggy I just throw out the seeds in the early spring, the oriental act more like a perennial and either need to be grown from a piece of the root or sewn indoors in compost (spread them lightly on top of the compost) keep them moist warm and cover them with a sheet of newspaper, transplant them in the fall while soil is still warm or in spring after threat of heavy frost is gone.

Thank you Schnee for your reply.
    Last edited by spieker; 06-10-2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo