Default Hives full of honey

I checked my two strongest hives looking for brood frames for a trap-out. I found in the second deep boxes several frames of fully capped honey. Should I be harvesting this honey?

Thanks

Default Re: Hives full of honey

Quote Originally Posted by GOHoney View Post
    I checked my two strongest hives looking for brood frames for a trap-out. I found in the second deep boxes several frames of fully capped honey. Should I be harvesting this honey?

Thanks
    Are these an overwintered hives, package, split, new nucs? And what's your hive set up like ( how many and what size boxes, frames per box...).
    You could probably harvest the frames, our flow is pretty decent right now, but if that's all the honey there is in the hive, it might be a good idea to wait. If the bees are still building up population, few days of bad weather and they'll be looking at their food stores to keep up with the demands of the colony.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcin View Post
    Are these an overwintered hives, package, split, new nucs? And what's your hive set up like ( how many and what size boxes, frames per box...).
    You could probably harvest the frames, our flow is pretty decent right now, but if that's all the honey there is in the hive, it might be a good idea to wait. If the bees are still building up population, few days of bad weather and they'll be looking at their food stores to keep up with the demands of the colony.
    These two are started from 4lb packages early April. It is hard to find a frame in these two with out honey. They each have two 10 frame deep hive boxes with med supers added around two weeks ago. They have the supers drawn out and about half filled. I was going to add another super to each next weekend.
    Last edited by GOHoney; 06-09-2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling

You have a good flow going. I would leave the honey in the deeps, they will need that over winter.

If you get the same type of spring flow we had here, you will need more than one more super -- I currently have five on my hive, although I'm not sure they will do much with the last one I added, they've slowed down quite a bit.

Peter

I have 6 more supers ready to go. The flow here has not stopped and even when it does I have the hives on 130 acres of old growth restored prairie. The flowers have not even started in the prairie yet.