Default bees being stubborn.

First year bee keeper. I installed two packages mid may and they are building numbers nicely. I have had the second deep on for three weeks now. I am located in Northern Idaho. One hive has 8 frames in the bottom deep drawn out and 6 frames in the top drawn out. The other hive has the same bee numbers but is much further behind drawing out comb because they keep drawing out weird comb either high on one side nothing on the other or comb that does not touch foundation and they can crawl all around it. I keep having to scrap it off and have them try again to get it right.

I have resorted to placing foundation between two properly drawn out frames of brood and honey and in hopes of them drawing it out correctly is there any other reason this hive is doing this or is there anything else I can do to encourage drawing out proper comb? Thanks btw I am still feeding sugar syrup.

Default Re: bees being stubborn.

whoops actually installed mid april 2nd deep added mid may.

Newbwee here too. same problem. Trying to get new hives built out with foundationless comb. Some they got right...some they didnt. What I've been doing is the cross comb....I've just been pulling it out...letting them clean the honey out of it and then I've been reattatching it to some empty frames. Then I take that and put it down tween two frames that are already built out. They fix my rookie attachement better and a couple weeks later....I'll do some more fixing. Slowly but surely it's getting there but it's a pain for them and myself.

I'd take three of the drawn frames from the the hive that is drawing well and place it in the one not drawing well after getting all the bees off place the frames you take out of the weaker hive and place in the strong hive to continue drawing. Make sure not to take brood unless you want to that is!