Default Apivar treatment during the summer

I bought some apivar to treat the varroa mites in 2 of my 6 hives. They are very weak and the mite count is high enough to treat. The directions say to take the honey supers off during treatment. The packaging says to leave treatment strips on for 42 days. This is a long time to take honey supers off in the middle of the summer. What is the reasoning behind removing the supers while treating? Is it just so the treatment doesn't get in to the honey and I end up eating it? If so, I should just be able to leave the supers on and take caution to not eat the honey. Thanks for the help.

Default Re: Apivar treatment during the summer

You're right. It's to ensure the chemicals from the Apivar doesn't get into the honey you're going to harvest. In theory if you ever harvest honey from those supers there's a chance there will still be some Apivar in the honey unless you can get the bees to completely clean out and consume the supers before putting "new" honey in there. This is also assuming they do not transfer any "old" honey from your deeps (that would be in theory contaminated) up into your cleaned supers.

In short it's CYA as it's not 100% known what if any interaction Apivar may have with all human consumption, not to mention possible interactions with any prescriptions they may be taking. As a chemical manufacturer if in doubt, especially regarding chemicals entering the food stream, telling people not to do it unless it's been tested in exactly that fashion is legally prudent.

Personally I'm a fan of Apivar. I just bought enough of it to treat 30 hives 2 weeks ago. I'll put it on after my final harvest Labor Day weekend.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Use Mite Away Quik Strips, and you can leave the supers on.

You just need to watch your temperatures, because they have minimum and maximum temps for use.
    Last edited by LeonardS; 06-09-2014 at 02:57 PM.

If your hives are weak (and you say they are very weak) there will be no need for honey supers.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    Use Mite Away Quik Strips, and you can leave the supers on.

You just need to watch your temperatures, because they have minimum and maximum temps for use.
    Question:

If MAQS and Amitraz have equal efficacy which is less likely to upset the hive and/or result in death of a Queen?

I used MAQS last year and after lost a Queen ...have no idea if it was coincidental or not.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06