Default Beginning Beekeeper - Checked hives for the first time and found queen cells

Hello everyone,

My name is Chad and I am in Central Indiana and am a new beekeeper. I just brought up my first two hives from nucs two weeks ago. My hives are about an hour from where I live so I'm not able to check them but every couple of weeks. I went for my first check this past weekend and found one hive to be thriving. They had built out 9 of the 10 frames in the box so I added another box (hope that that was right!). The other hive wasn't doing as well and I found three queen cells and not nearly as many bees, and they certainly hadn't built out many frames, so I did not add the second box.

Based on this information, is there any advice on my next steps? Is there anything more I should lookout for?

Default Re: Beginning Beekeeper - Checked hives for the first time and found queen cells

The White Lick Beekeepers meets the second Wednesday of the month, 7:00 pm at the library in Mooresville. This Wednesday is the day. If you haven't already been to some meetings I highly recommend the group and it is free. I also sent you a PM. Good luck.

Default Re: Beginning Beekeeper - Checked hives for the first time and found queen cells

Quote Originally Posted by mbevanz View Post
    The White Lick Beekeepers meets the second Wednesday of the month, 7:00 pm at the library in Mooresville. This Wednesday is the day. If you haven't already been to some meetings I highly recommend the group and it is free. I also sent you a PM. Good luck.
    Correction, The meeting is 6:30 to 8:00 PM.