Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Brood Break with a queen cage vs. queen removal, any experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    What is "notching larvae"? I'm trying to find this online and still can't find out what it is.
    It is a method now called OTS, for on the spot queen rearing. You take a frame of larvae and push in your hive tool and bend the comb down so you can encourage queen cells from that larve. You are essentially helping the bees tear down cell walls so they will make queens cells when they are queenless (which would be what you are about to make them.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYz65Vquxg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Do you think that letting the hives requeen themselves for a brood break is worthwhile for the purpose I listed?

I haven't had Varroa issues for years and I have not done it for that purpose. Perhaps someone who has tried it for Varroa can answer that.
    I wish I could say the same, I am encouraging the bees to work on it

Default Re: Brood Break with a queen cage vs. queen removal, any experience with this?

mdasplitter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    What is "notching larvae"? I'm trying to find this online and still can't find out what it is.

Since I'm mostly foundationless and since I'm always slipping an empty in the brood nest I always have some fresh white comb. This is the type of frame I'm looking for when I'm making a split.
    I don't do OTS since I can't imagine the bees having any trouble chewing out the bottom of whatever cell they want to use.