Default Questions about comb length

So I am working with two nucs that came in deeps but over time I hope to switch all the deep frames to medium since that is what hardware I have and want to use. Right now I am using shims on the bottom of the medium to make up the difference in depth for the deep frames.
    My question is. I got medium frames mixed in with the deeps and they are filling up medium frames quick but of course on occasion they build below the bottom of the medium frames because they are in a deep box….so how far down will they build their comb and should I remove what they build? I don’t like the thought of destroy brood laden comb on nucs I am trying to build up.
    I have been swapping in new frames every week so the issue has not been that bad.

I am foundationless if it matters or not.

Default Re: Questions about comb length

>so how far down will they build their comb and should I remove what they build?

To quote an old submarine saying "all the way to the bottom..." No. Don't remove it unless you need to put the frame in a medium box and it won't fit anymore...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks! Does this qualify me for top bar beekeeping too..I just got to remember to be very careful with the new unsupported comb.

I think you qualify for Middle Bar beekeeping!
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Well i am a first year guy so maybe I was aiming too high.

Do you mean building off medium frames like this? I added brood to a swarm hive last year and they made real pretty deeps out of a couple of my medium frames. All the way to the bottom as Michaels says.

I have the same situation with a honey super. I put the small frames in a Medium super.. .duh, thought I had gotten rid of all of those itsy bitsy frames. Was thumping my head at first, but now I guess I will have some very pretty chunk comb honey. Looking on the sweet side!
    NBL