Default Be wary of stuck frames..

While doing a hive inspection today, one of the frames was stuck to the deep above it, it broke free before I could intercede. The bees were not too happy.

http://youtu.be/5r7cOE0Gy2w

Default Re: Be wary of stuck frames..

Repeat after me: "Lift and twist, lift and twist, lift and twist."

Not being condescending here, I still have to remind myself of that mantra occasionally when removing boxes or inner covers. You would think by now it would be second nature.

Wayne

A tip I got from Michael bush has proved useful. Lift one end of the box, you can tell by the way it feels if a frame is stuck. If it is use your hive tool, lever the top of the frame free off the bottom of the frame above it.

I never had any luck twisting. I pry each frame down as Adrian said...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I never had any luck twisting.
    Same. I always split the boxes with the hive tool, then lift up slightly on one end. With the hive tool pry down any frames that are stuck, before lifting the box. I've come to the realization, frames glued like that is quite normal, and if there are no stuck frames, the colony deserves a closer inspection, because there is something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    ....if there are no stuck frames, the colony deserves a closer inspection, because there is something wrong.
    There must be something wrong with my hives then since I don't have frames stuck to the box above all that often. My bees like to glue the frames to the box they are in but only occasionally to the frames above. I'll have to look at what I've been doing wrong all these years.

Wayne

Every time I open the hives the frames are heavily propolized into place, I have never had one pull up.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I keep a piece of piano wire with 2 wooden handles handy for sepatating boxes if needed.

I had a frame hang up not long after I bought my first colony. It fell between my feet as I twisted to put the box on a stand. I had on a veil, but the bees covered both legs below the knees. I was not stung above the knees, but my skin turned bright red and my eyes swelled almost shut. After about 2 hours everything returned to normal and I have never had any type of reaction since. You can bet I always checked for hanging frames after that experience.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic