Wisconsin rapids Wi USA

Default aggressive hive question ?

There has been a lot of threads about aggressive bees, and the answer is always "requeen" so my question is, are they mean because of the Queens presents? if so I can see where she is gone and they change thier attitude.... But I would think that "mean" would come from the genes (the Queen or the Drone). so if this is true, it could take 2 months to get it out of the hive. say you kill the Queen today, she laid egg today ( using simple math) that egg emeges in 20 days and lives for 40 days thats 60 days before that trait is gone. so tell me where my thinking is wrong !

Great Falls Montana

Default Re: aggressive hive question ?

You have the math about right give or take a day. The sooner you replace a queen who produces daughters with no sense of humor, the sooner you can enjoy going back in that colony. MY mean colony this spring got turned into nucs so I had several weaker ornery hives which don't seem to generate the same level of attackers as one populace and defensive colony.

Knox Co, Ohio, USA

Defensiveness is genetic and it will take a few weeks to replace the bees.

Another factor is colony size. DEfensiveness is much more noticable in a large colony than a small one.

You could split a colony in half, remove old queen, re-rqueen one half, remove any queen cells either split makes, combine splits once new queen is established.

If you are concerned about the new queen being accepted you could make a weak nuc to introduce her in. Once she is introduced add frames of brood to make nuc/single stronger, then combine with remaining colony.

Nehawka, Nebraska USA

Defensiveness often goes away in a few days after introducing the new queen. This, of course, means it's not JUST genetic all the time, but requeening is still the solution.
    Michael Bush "Everything works if you let it." 41y 200h 38yTF