Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Queen Marking Fail -or- Can you spot the Queen?

Well, this was certainly the worst job of marking a queen I've ever done. However, that unfortunate incident occurred over 2 weeks ago when a thunderstorm came up out of nowhere and surprised us. It started raining while I was still waiting for the paint to dry, and I rushed it. I was afraid that I might have killed her, but she is laying up a storm. She has 5 full frames of brood. It was a package I got from Tim at Honey Hive Farms. Anyway, I'm guessing even the inexperienced won't have trouble spotting this queen!

QueenMarkingFailS.jpgCanYouSpotTheQueenS.jpgCanYouSpotTheQueen2S.jpgBroodPatternS.jpgBroodPattern2S.jpg

Default Re: Queen Marking Fail -or- Can you spot the Queen?

Success is all in the eye of the bee-holder and the Bee-marker. In this case for sure its guaranteed for the bee-spotter? I found her...

If you start to get any of those drones with white or purple eyes you know what happened.

Marking queens takes practice. Try some drones to get yourself all prepared for the next time....

If you ever have problems finding that queen, I'll bet she's not in the hive.

Or you need cornea transplants

Or you just need to slow down and relax .. that bobbing backside swaying will decloak her invisiblity
    "Anytime you see someone more successful than you are, they are doing something you aren't."

I usually do much better:
    WellMarkedS.jpg

or at least I did last year!
    Last edited by oldfordguy; 06-08-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added last year

You got to call her shreck

It's the Green Lantern super bee!

Just marked two today for my cousin and one yesterday. It is much better with an extra two hands to help.

Being very red-green colorblind, the humor is completely lost on me, which is humorous in its own right. I wish i could see the color, but I can only spot them by the rump shape and shade.

I could see her in the thumbnail picture without enlarging it.

buzzleblast, my son is colorblind as well. I wish I could see what he sees so I would know how things look to him.
    Purveyor of almost organic honey and treatment free bees.

Its hard to explain, but I guess we learn to adapt. I deal more in shape and movement like I said, but there is always a vague background fear that I wont see the queen. I guess it'll go away eventually, but every time I see her (or them in the case of my 'recently queenless but several queens hatching now' hive) its a triumph that those who can just spot the dot will never know.

My genetics professor had a son who was color blind, when they found out, he leaned over to his wife and said, "It's your fault....."

one of the best painters we have a work is color blind. If you mix up labels on paint it can really mess him up, but he can blend in repair jobs seamlessly. He can also see old repair jobs that no one else can see. What he lacks in color vision I think he makes up for in huges or contrast ( if that makes sense)

Looks like one of those Earl Scheib paint jobs!

This is a good lesson for those fearful of marking queens: you can mess up but the queen still lives, the bees don't ball her and she keeps laying!

She must be on your side in frames 4 and 5. Worst Best marking job ever!!

Doesn't appear to have slowed her down. I'd graft from her. But don't expect the color to be passed on to the next generation.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Old Ford Guy:

I know this is off topic, but looks like you been eating lots of biscuits with good ole homemade honey. I'm with you on this, bro.

casper

Nice job!

I've been using fingernail polish to mark my queens. I recently learned that the nice florescent bright green paint that I've been using, is a water based polish. I thought I was going bonkers when queens that I'm sure that I had marked, were either disappearing and being superseded, or perhaps I just wasn't remembering correctly. Then I saw one of my queens with the bright green marking hanging by a thread, as it had become detached from the queen. I then saw another, that I thought I had previously marked, with only the tiniest bit of bright green paint, down between her thorax and abdomen. So now I know that my super awesome bright green choice in fingernail polish, with the perfect little brush, ain't what I cracked it up to be. I guess I'm going to have break down and consult an expert... My daughter. I can hear it now... "Oh Dad!"... "If you only knew what you were doing"! DREAD!

It's so hard any more to maintain appearances of all-powerful, all-knowing, and invincible - cool, most awesome, Dad! They already think I'm obsessed and slightly off-center because of my bees. Now I don't just want bright green polish, but I want it to stick to queen bees too... The nerve of that fingernail polish company to fall short on their testing... Don't they know there are higher purposes for their product than fingernails? Now I'm the one in a pickle!
    Beekeeping 12 yrs, 2 recent - 10 Hives - 6a - Engineering Solutions against Winter Losses! - WARMBEES.COM

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    But don't expect the color to be passed on to the next generation.
    I thought that red queens produce green queens, then the green ones will produce blue ones....

Quote Originally Posted by casper_zip View Post
    Old Ford Guy:
    I know this is off topic, but looks like you been eating lots of biscuits with good ole homemade honey. I'm with you on this, bro.
    casper
    I certainly did in my younger days, not so much now that I have type II diabetes, 3 stents in my heart, and a pacemaker/defibrillator in my chest. Still enjoy the bees immensely, just don't get to sample the bounty as much!