Default Beelte Baffle? Have you tried it?

Have any of you tried the Beetle Baffle to help combat SHB?? If you ahve not heard of it, here is the link to the website...

http://www.beetlebaffle.com/

It is basically a piece of aluminum that only allow the beetles to travel in one directions, but allows the bees to go in two directions...

Can you all let me know if you have tried this? I recently got a new package of bees and it came with hive beetle pre-installed

I would like to try this but not if it is just another gimmick

Default Re: Beelte Baffle? Have you tried it?

I have not used them, the ones you buy. But I heard there was one I can make. I have not yet found it online.

I would be interested to see how well they work!

I have seen the ones that you can buy to and would like to try one. but have not heard if they work or not and don't want to pay $20.00 on something that don't work

Don't know just ordered one I will test it out and see about making them . With out paying the 20 bucks .
    Nothing ventured nothing gained . Sometimes the only way to learn is do .
    25 hives at the moment .

okay 78-79fordman let us know if it works for you thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    okay 78-79fordman let us know if it works for you thanks
    Will and when I get it so I can see the angle I will tell how easy there going to be make out of some flashing . Because I'm not paying 20 bucks for a 100 or more . But don't mind for one for a pattern .
    25 hives at the moment .

The idea is good and seems like it may work- but I guess we would just have to try it and see!

Well I got it today . USPS had bent the long peices but I got them bent back out . I will have to cut the short peices since its for 10 frame and I'm 8 frame . But my plan is to make the whole thing . And only keep these as a pattern .
    It's just Aluminum flashing bent at a 40 degrees angle that's 3/16 long .

Here's the tool I ordered from harbor freight to hopefully make the clean bends .

Well update when I get the bender in to try it out making them .
    Last edited by 78-79fordman; 06-11-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    25 hives at the moment .

I'd be interested to see how well it works also. I hope it does work well as it's a super simple concept and very no invasive. Ever tried Beetle Blasters? They suck (IMHO). They just get in the way of hive inspections and I still see adult beetles running around. I've seen hives get slimed despite running beetle blasters.

Not sure how to properly test it in my hives. Some of my hives demonstrate great beetle resistance already, chasing the bugs to every corner of the hive. Others act like they don't even notice the beetles. So I'd just as soon have the smart bees over more intervention! Please keep us updated on the results!
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Any updates on these working?

I Have The Beetle Baffle on all My Hive's... It Work's Really Well.... But There Is One Think That I Do A Long With The Beetle Baffle... I Use Masking Tape On The Hive's Also..... Between The Hive Body and Between The Hive Body and Suppers and Don't Forget The Inter Cover And Top Cover.... It's Like a Back Door To The Hive Beetle If There Is a Crack the Hive Beetle Will Find It and Inter The Hive That Way.... Tell The Bee's Can Sell The Crack You Have To Use The Masking Tape Just To Help The Bee's Out.... I Also Use The Beetle Jail's Inside The Hive To Get The One's That Got In While I Had The Hive All Opened Up.... When You Inspect The Hive and You Have It All torn Open The Beetle's Will Get Into The Hive That Way Also, That's Why I Have The Beetle Jail's Inside That's Why I Have The Beetle Jail's To Get The One's That Flew In While I Had The Hive All Opened Up..... And After Opening a Hive Up Don't Forget The Masking Tape, To Help Until The Bee's Can Sell There Home All Up Again....

I never took time to make them and install them but I guess I have a base line for next year when I install them the freeman beetle trap has really keep them knocked out . Just a pain to keep clean enought oil and I have to dump water from them after heavy rain .
    25 hives at the moment .